Honest Question About Xr6 Turbo Vs Ve V8

invictus

• Member For: 8y 4m 28d

Hi guys

Now I know this is a Ford forum but its an honest question so im hoping it will be taken that way.

I want to buy a car to build up as a project car, and as most do I am looking at the xr6 turbo/ G6E turbo or a VE SS/ Calais V8.

Now I can get one around the same price second hand. Just standard I know the xr6 turbo is the king and as it already has forced induction on it, it makes it a bit easier. And I know with very little money these cars fly. I am looking for around 400kw at the fly wheel and so trick a xr6 to that would be around 10k.

Looking at the VE V8 option I could buy one around the same price as a xr6 turbo, and for around 10k I could have a supercharger put on it to give at least the 400kw motor.

So in my own head im thinking much of a muchness.

But in real world, how would these two projects stack up? As Ford xr6 turbo dudes im sure you come up against VE V8 supers all the time at Dyno days and at the track. You may even have mates with them or owned one yourself.

So my questions are

1. How would the two compare as far as speed over 1/4 and 0-100? Assuming for similar power and stock gearboxes etc.

2. Reliability? Do you get more relaibility from the Ford because its factory compared to a bolt on super?

3. Fuel economy?

4. Day drive? How would the go as a day driver by the wife?

And any other info you might have.

Also im not a mechanic so sorry in advance if my questions are stupid.

Thx

• Member For: 10y 5m 5d

Pretty much the ford will always be quicker in a straight line, on average the blown miami needs about 50kw more at the treads than the T to do the same times. Its hard to beat the insanley fat power curve the barra has.

SS will sound like the ducks nuts and if manual will no doubt be the more fun car to drive.

I was in the same situation as you, test drove a few ss's and hadnt really given the turbos much thought. Then I drove one, and for 2 cars that have the same peak output, they felt very different.

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 4m 7d

By the time you get 400 fwkw or 340ish rwkw on either car you wont beat the sound of the holden (if that's what your into) but the Ford will win hands down on the strip,street,stealth and

fuel economy.

Plus that midrange torque that is pure bliss imo.

• Member For: 11y 1m 30d

Go to drags and check out how many street going fg xr6ts are there doing 10s or 9s compared to v8 commodores. You'll be surprised. Especially considering there's probably a 10th of the xr6ts going around as there is ss's.

If you have a bottomless budget go the ss, bang for buck for quarter miles you won't beat the xr6t with a zf

• Like 1

• Member For: 10y 3m 12d

Hi guys

Now I know this is a Ford forum but its an honest question so im hoping it will be taken that way.

I want to buy a car to build up as a project car, and as most do I am looking at the xr6 turbo/ G6E turbo or a VE SS/ Calais V8.

Now I can get one around the same price second hand. Just standard I know the xr6 turbo is the king and as it already has forced induction on it, it makes it a bit easier. And I know with very little money these cars fly. I am looking for around 400kw at the fly wheel and so trick a xr6 to that would be around 10k.

Looking at the VE V8 option I could buy one around the same price as a xr6 turbo, and for around 10k I could have a supercharger put on it to give at least the 400kw motor.

So in my own head im thinking much of a muchness.

But in real world, how would these two projects stack up? As Ford xr6 turbo dudes im sure you come up against VE V8 supers all the time at Dyno days and at the track. You may even have mates with them or owned one yourself.

So my questions are

1. How would the two compare as far as speed over 1/4 and 0-100? Assuming for similar power and stock gearboxes etc.

2. Reliability? Do you get more relaibility from the Ford because its factory compared to a bolt on super?

3. Fuel economy?

4. Day drive? How would the go as a day driver by the wife?

And any other info you might have.

Also im not a mechanic so sorry in advance if my questions are stupid.

Thx

I don't think you will get a lot for 10k on the VE. In 2006 I bought a brand new VZ SS and had the work done by Marks Workshop in York. About 13k for the supercharger then by the time you get an exhaust and maybe a mild cam,air intake,catch can etc etc you will have spent 20k. 10k will get you a lot of nice goodies for an XR6t and you will get way better fuel economy.

• Like 1

• Member For: 8y 4m 28d

Thanks for all the answers.

So with the type of power im wanting (350 rwkw) will either engine need more work to strengthen them?

Im not wanting to spend 50k on the engine but rather up to 10k. So if I can avoid having to spend money to beef up parts of the motor to handle 350rwkw I would prefer that.

A 350rwkw xr6 t, how does that run day to day? I want a sleeper type car, not one that is going to be a cop magnet.

Also I was thinking of the maybe the xr6t or a G6ET, so is there a benefit to one over the other as far what I would be wanting to do?

Thx

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

I have 320rwkw give or take and have had that since 100,000km mark, now up to 288,000 I think. Flog the tits off it all the time and it's still good. Did valve springs at 200,000 but needed them right after the tune to be honest (rough idle after WOT is a symptom of soft springs). Just let it warm up AND down, then change oil and filter every 7,500 with good oil (Castrol Edge in my case). Do it at 5000km intervals if you do short hard trips.

So I say the Barra / XR6T is very reliable if treated right. I still have all the original engine bay ancillaries too.

Missus can easily drive it too, just stay light on the throttle and the 4L torque gets it going well enough.

Never been hassled by the cops. Even with angel eyes, orange Brembos and a big windscreen banner from a race event. Pulled over for "random" breatho a week ago (they dropped a u-ey to get me) and not a word was spoken about the car.

Entire mod spend was about $5300 initially for the first custom tune (injectors, exhaust, cooler, intank pump, XCAL3, custom tune) and then later on had to pay for valve springs and retune. Which leads me to....

Warning, maintenance is expensive if you drive them hard or a lot. Wheel bearings (fronts done twice, rears once), suspension components (ball joints, bushes etc) all flog out regularly on me.

I do drive it hard though. I can't help it, it's farking fun!

Edited by -Stever-
  • Like 2

• Member For: 11y 1m 30d

For only 350rwkw go fg xr6t for sure. Less than 10k on parts even if the tuner does everything you'll be there on e85 and it'll be way quicker than a V8 you spend that money on.

But you could also consider getting an already modified car. The market is sh*t atm so you might be able to pick up something crazy for not much and save some serious coin...

• Like 1