Driveline Backlash

boost69

• Member For: 15y 5m 4d

Ha, don't worry I've been all over the car for something like that. First thing I checked was what I or someone else had left in the tray. Then the other easy/stupid one, the spare tyre being loose. Went over the rear suspension tightening every nut and checking all the bushes which were acceptable. Even pulled off the tow ball and tounge because if I pushed on the rear bar lightly, it'd rub and make noise.

Finally, checked the most expensive bit, grabbed the rear wheel, turned it and the backlash seemed excessive. Hard to be certian without another one to compare it against or a dial indicator and the diff cover off.

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 13y 2m 30d

I have a truetrac and it clunks when first engaging the clutch, but smooth on road gear changes

I use to have similar issues as described above bangs on changing during hard acceleration or decelerating The problem was the alternator

It had a small voltage drop which was somehow effecting the ECU and causing a small glitch in the tps maybe, anyway new alternator no more bangs (shunting) in the drive line

I was told by a tuner the ECU's are very sensitive to voltage supply, that's the only reason I looked at it as a possible cause.

The voltage drop was too quick to detect on a multi meter

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 24d

Now that's interesting!

• 5 months later...