Fgx And Sync2 Sound Quality

timbos99

• Member For: 15y 5m 19d

Anyone else noticed that the sound is rubbish in the new model? Not sure what the cause is but it's enough that I'm hunting around for info and not finding much, may have to take it to a professional for once!

No doubt speakers, amp and sound deadening will improve it. However actual source seems crap and the sync 2 head unit offers little adjustment - there is no EQ like in the FG ICC. So I think it will need more to get the the FGX sound up and running... Can anyone with more knowledge shed any light on options? Stuff like DAC's or signal processors?

• Member For: 11y 1m 28d

I reckon my fg ICC sounds like sh*t also. Just lacking detail and clarity. Best option might be to get an aftermarket headunit if you're really into quality sound. I don't think those digital processors could do that much because it's the actual source audio that's sh*t.. can't polish a turd.

• Like 1

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 1m 10d

What Lennox said. Basically, the source unit (ICC) is sh*thouse! If you want decent sound then you'll have to go dedicated headunit. Processors have very rarely had success with the FG+ Ford ICC's, as you can't process out all the noise that comes from the ICC.

• Member For: 11y 8m 26d

I have an FG mkii and have an audison sound processor with my aftermarket system.. its loud as f*ck and was nowhere near as good prior to an Audison processor being fitted. You can make the stereos in these cars pump but needs a processor or headunit fitted to do so

• Member For: 9y 14d

I have the audison processor aswell and it made a huge difference. Going to try a different head unit through it one day and compare how it sounds but not bad so far.

Fg mkii

Edited by Jamie_d
  • Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 18d

I had a 2009 FG and had a similar issue with noise and poor quality sound. I had alpine type r splits in the front and type r coaxials in the rear, a 10" type R sub with custom fibreglass enclosure all run off the ICC through two alpine amps. The system pumped but quality wasn't great and there was a definite hiss at low volume levels. I was told it was the poor quality ICC. I then had an alpine head unit installed- what a difference. The clarity and quality was so much better and absolutely now low level hiss. Very happy.

I recently purchased a new FGX and had a similar system installed. However this time I had a processor installed - instead of a head unit. I wanted to retain all the Sync2 Functionality. Sound quality is slightly better but no where near as good as the aftermarket head unit. The low level hiss has returned and it can not be filtered out. Clarity is marginally better than without a processor but a lot of money for a little improvement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• Member For: 15y 5m 19d

Thanks a lot for the replies. I'll check out the audison processor.

Man it's annoying that they settle for such rubbish. They go to all the trouble of a an integrated unit with voice control and all sorts of sh*t, when a cheap aftermarket unit will trump it in sound. Car manufacturers really need to pull their heads out of their arses.

• Member For: 11y 8m 26d

if you get the Audison tuned properly you shouldnt get any low level hiss.. mine started with a bit of hiss but once it was retuned a second time it was gone!! If your in Sydney go see Elite Car Audio at Campbelltown they will sort you out, speak to Shaun..

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 18d

if you get the Audison tuned properly you shouldnt get any low level hiss.. mine started with a bit of hiss but once it was retuned a second time it was gone!! If your in Sydney go see Elite Car Audio at Campbelltown they will sort you out, speak to Shaun..

Thanks- unfortunately I'm in Perth. The Car Audio place that installed the system have retuned the car several times and the hiss remains. I have contacted several other audio shops and they have all said the same thing- the factory output signal voltage is really low and that is what causes this issue. The processor does improve the sound quality but cannot compensate enough for the initial poor signal quality.

I have had to compromise the power output level by lowering the gains; this reduces low level hiss but does not get rid of it completely. I might try and give your guys in Sydney a call and see if they can provide any advice.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk