New Build - Home Renovations - Gardens - Garages & Sheds.

Pixy Angel

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 23d
On 08/03/2022 at 2:18 PM, Mrs Jeturbo said:

Not personal related ... but work related...

I have been given a project in a gorgeous beach side neighbourhood where I am redeveloping the historic site. 

New community facilities including RSL club, library and community centre integrating with an existing historic building. 

Pretty excited for it... have worked with the architects on the design for some components for the last 9 months and still working through the biggest buildings, hopefully kicking off out of the ground in a few months time. :) Really cool to essentially ‘own’ a project and put your stamp on it that will hopefully be a community location for the next 100+ years :)

well done fluff look forward to the journey

2 hours ago, Panda Eyes said:

if anyone is looking for a new house my place has just gone on the market...

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-nairne-138946147

really nice house mate shes a beauty

• Like 1

• flame magnet
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 1d
On 29/03/2022 at 6:17 PM, k31th said:

moving more country or more city?

country. bought land in Mount Gambier over the new year. going to take a year off and build again.

• Like 1

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 26d

Pergola got the all clear from the building certifier this afternoon. I still want to throw a row of roofing screws into the flashing on the long edge, so hanging string lights while I've got the scaff there. Then one more coat of paint and it's beer time.

Actually no, it's build a deck time...605b2eab5ed5a5882fac4ac943b0a046.jpg87f9a3f5e348518b887472462cc72de5.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • Gold Donating Members

Reckon I might need to sort out some drainage issues before I put the deck in...

Since I got the ground levelled, I think the lawn is draining under that retaining wall. If I bail water off it, it just floods again until the lawn dries out. I'll just throw in a trench, Ag pipe and silt pit plumbed into the stormwater. I'd rather be building the deck, but better to know I've got this problem now rather than later.21b2fd67e194093d81151f799ee2123c.jpg

• Like 1

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 20d

@El Andrew damn, imagine finding out about this after you've put heaps of hours and labour into building the deck.

In the photo you can see the slope of the grass tends towards the retaining wall. So it makes sense this would happen, unlucky!

But hey, now you've seen it, you can make it betterer :) 

• Gold Donating Members

It slopes up behind us too so I think a lot of the water in the soil of the house behind us flows into our soil too. Has never been a problem before but the ridiculous amount of rain lately has completely saturated the soil.

I reckon I'll run ag pipe along the back of the retaining wall to catch most of the moisture in the lawn area, plus one under the deck for anything that makes it last that, plus water from the deck itself (the outer edge of the deck extends out past the pergola)

I've framed up my outdoor kitchen so looking forward to a steak and a beer out there when I finally finish it all.

Bought a Kreg pocket hole jig and tried it out on the frame - ripper of a thing!55e4de4e4a52c1d4f17699a0aab58884.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Gold Donating Members

Any of you with ducted reverse cycle know what your average kWh usage is during winter? Had our gas heating and evap cooling replaced with a reverse cycle unit last week. Electricity usage has increased from an average of 10 kWh per day to 60! Seems a bit odd. I had heard the usage for similar systems in Canberra was around 10 - 15 kWh per day.

We leave the unit off overnight and in the evening turn zones off and shut doors when they are no longer used (eg once the kids are in bed, the family room is closed and zone turned off). Run the house at 20-21 degrees.

I'm a bit suspicious there's maybe a duct that wasn't sealed properly or one of the old evaporative ducts wasn't tied off and so I'm leaking warm air and the unit is running flat out. I'm getting those properly removed and the ceiling patched soon.

I've emailed the installer to see what they think, but if anyone knows their own usage it would be a good sense check.

Edit: 3 bedroom single story. Open plan kitchen, dining, lounge and separate family room.