New Build - Home Renovations - Gardens - Garages & Sheds.

Pixy Angel

• Bob the Freaking Builder
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 7m 5d

If you’re building 2 houses with the largest underlying priority being the valuation at the end of the project and the potential resale/rental value of them given they’re in a higher value realestate area, the priorities are not generally construction method (to a degree) or longer term energy efficiency. 

Why? Because believe it or not, a solar system or the style of insulation used will add nominal value to the overall project, however, an 80k kitchen will.... and... the cost of running an aircon FOR SOMEONE ELSE is irrelevant to me. 

I am not arguing the value of insulation, just like I don’t argue 99% of things written in the BCA because they’re usually accurate, however, just like I chose to eliminate certain expenses from my other builds that are “best practice” in an ideal world, I chose which ones would make me the most money on this one because that’s the key objective. 

All I required out of this project is somewhere for my mum to live until she’s in a home (which she will be using down stairs only not upstairs, and yes there is mid floor insulation and zoned aircon) and somewhere we can stay to care for her during that time while we build our longer term house.... which by the way will NOT have sisalation because the roof is being built out of a foam composite material which is also fire resistant. 

I am not arguing the value in sisalation, I’m saying it simply wasn’t a priority for this application. 

• Feeling the Love :-)
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 18d
On 24/12/2015 at 12:46 PM, Mrs Jeturbo said:

it works out more economical to have the design of the house accounting for better energy consumption and cooling properties

Double glazing

Good insulation and a good design of the house counts for so much

Adelaide is freaking hot all summer

just sayin :hammerhead:

• Donating Members

Honestly... zero farks, could not physically care any less about it. The fact is it will likely have solar installed one day and therefore the minimal gains sisalation would have added (the $7 a quarter it would have saved), will then be redundant and neutralised.... but again... I won’t care because I won’t be there.

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 27d

We all care about the environment on this forum.

Anyhoo, thinking of punching out the cat on my 4L turbo Barra so I can make all the powerz. Thoughts?

• Haha 1

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 22d
2 minutes ago, Mrs Jeturbo said:

I won’t care because I won’t be there. 

that's right. Me , me,me me.......:stirthepot:

• Feeling the Love :-)
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 18d
1 hour ago, Mrs Jeturbo said:

Do you understand what a cost vs benefits analysis is?

for me personally, under the roof cladding insulation was more cost effective

didn't have to buy extra protection for all the down-lights and electrical in the ceiling that could not be covered by insulation because of the heat sinks associated with LED lighting at the time

now there are better lighting/electrical out there that can be totally covered by your insulation products

44 minutes ago, Mrs Jeturbo said:

I am not arguing the value in sisalation,

I'm not talking about this product, I would not waste my money on it,  I'm talking insulation as an alternative or addition to ceiling insulation

• Donating Members

Well my sh*ttily insulated house has made some more progress this week LOLOLOLOL

Scaffold is up at the rear of the property and the upper rear windows are in. The brickies are well underway with the facade almost finished.

The back alfresco wall has been done... it’s a double brick wall and will be built out afterwards to make a little fire nook with a mounted TV... 

Layer 1... (Which I then decided to make higher coz I could still see into my neighbours alfresco)

8AXg1wi.jpg

After the double brick was finished... Much better level. (these bricks will look more black grey when cleaned, they’re called liquorice) 

It will hopefully look something like this once completed, but instead of the log insert it will have a bbq bench built in.

H2EgXYy.jpg

Went to my cabinet maker yesterday and did the final sign off and made a few minor adjustments... 

Have organised for the island bench to be fitted after flooring as the plinth kicker will align far nicer. 

Cupboards profile... 

k9meT8O.jpg

One of the amazing kitchens in their show room... so nice!!! 😍 (actually similar to what we are getting) 
sY6K3f1.jpg

Ironically I finalised my insulation details today... 

- 4.0 for all level 1 ceilings and GF level ceiling that has an exposed foot (no upper floor on top of it) 

- Same for alfresco 

- Same for mid level floor 

- 2.5HD for external walls 

- 2.5HD for all internal walls

- Heavy duty R2.0 ducting for the aircon ducting.  

This is additional to the outer upper being built from a rendapanel product which is high density foam core panel covered in a three coat render system. It should finish up much nicer than traditional Hebel style blocks as the panels are patched and joined together similar to an external gyprock flushing to make the joints look much more seamless.

Edited by k31th
fixed vids
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1