New Build - Home Renovations - Gardens - Garages & Sheds.

Pixy Angel

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 23d
21 hours ago, Mrs Jeturbo said:

It's going down, I'm yelling timber 
You better move, you better dance .....

*apologies for the Bad song reference* 

Gls1n6r.jpg

Yx7YqpQ.jpg

Where are the bricks. Are you Amish???

• Bob the Freaking Builder
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 7m 6d

You can literally see pallets of them in the photo... They’re down the back of the block waiting to go on 🤔

Edited by Mrs Jeturbo

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members

Dont you remember the story of the 3 little cops. Big bad wolf blew down the house of wooden sticks. Is it just a WA thing, we build houses of double brick. No timber and no gyprock walls. Hope none of you smoke. Those homes are tinderbox. 

• Donating Members

Yeah the rest of Australia moved on from that about 30 years ago lol!

I love an old traditional double brick house but I grew up in a double brick house (in that location) and I can promise I’d rather punch myself in the face than deal with another Aussie summer in an oven that takes a few days to heat up but weeks to cool down! 

We are little more than a stones throw from the beach so we cop all the western afternoon sun and it’s just horrific in summer. Double brick just definitely didn’t work for the location, our power bills were insane due to aircon costs then heating costs. 

We chose the construction method based on our location and energy efficiency mainly... so timer frame, brick lower and brick + foam based insulative panel on the upper level with a 3 coat render finish upper and lower. 
Then we specified the heaviest grade insulation in the cavities including in the subfloor and double on the back walls (where the arvo sun hits). 

We don’t have any smokers in the family and I like a clean gyprock finish when done correctly so I never even questioned the inner construction method tbh. 

If you told a builder you wanted double brick here they would lump you an arm and a leg and look at you like a weirdo lol.

Edited by Mrs Jeturbo

• Donating Members

Funny you mention the fire situation though as I have already been looking at how we will tackle the next build which we really want to be in the Adelaide Hills, which would need to 100% be built to survive proper bush fire conditions. 

Double brick isn’t on the list of considerations at all... but precast concrete or concrete filled blocks with a fire retardant cladding to give a timber look exterior would be the go. 
Extremely fire resistant and also one of the most effective materials to make a home well insulated.

But that’s a far bigger And more complex project which would need a complete tank and exterior sprinkler system, complete fire retardant materials on the exterior including roof and window and door frames, an underground safe room with air filtration system and a complete off the grid home with solar, batteries, self sustained water supply and probably be a single story large style home rather than a multi story. 

But I haven’t even started drawing it yet so that’s a pipeline thing :)

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members

Good thoughts on the fire risk.

I dont understand. It looks like your your house is made from 10mm chipboard/plywood. 

The whole idea of double brick is so the inner wall isnt contacted by the sun. Additionally that's what eaves are for. 

But timber (pine )  must be cheap. Maybe a double brick house is to expensive. 

• Donating Members

Lol. The timber and steel are there for structural support. The timber frame Ranges from 100m timbers to 400mm beams where required. It’s structural treated pine so it’s not what you would call cheap.  The ply wood style pieces You’re talking about are just an additional inner layer in any external walls or walls exposed to water like bathrooms.

(if you’re referring to the ones still on the ground they’re for the subfloor)
The layer of brick goes on the outside and the layer of Insulation in the middle Then the gyprock on the inside. 

Brick is fairly cheap here so that’s not the reasoning behind it in any way. The reason we’ve evolved past a double brick construction is that it acts like an oven... I know the point is to never have the inner layer get warm, but guess what, in SA with ten days of 40 (as is a normal summer) the inner layer gets very very hot and then retains that heat as there is no way for that heat to escape efficiently and you have a house that’s only eco efficient for the first two days of 40 then still hot by the time everyone else’s has cooled down. 

As I said I spent my first 18 years in one and it was horrific in summer compared to my crappy built first house of brick veneer, which was in the middle of a desert plane and was still better in summer than the bungalow.

Edited by Mrs Jeturbo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

Cold water pressure relief in the hws popped a seal out of the black bit and is pissing. Farker isn't that old either.

Water and hws are off for now. Gonna replace it tomorrow.

Bleh.