New Build - Home Renovations - Gardens - Garages & Sheds.

Pixy Angel

• RNS10S
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 7m 12d
On 14/03/2019 at 12:24 PM, Puffwagon said:

I've got a total of 35, 300W Canadian Solar panels on there. There are 13 on the back and 22 on the north face and verandah. 

This is the back of the house. There is only one panel in the left of the pic.

This the North face. There are 11 panels flat on the verandah.

The inverter, it's a Fronius SYMO 8.2-3-M.

I just noticed that the roofers didn't do part of the flashing there and some of the old wood is hanging off it. I've texted the bloke and he'll get back to me once he's spoken to the contractors. Oh well, ya get that, it won't be the end of the world if I have to get up there and fix it up myself. The solar dudes reckon it is one of the better re-roofs they've seen, so that's something.

Hey Puff,

What did that system cost in total?

My summer bill was $960.00

Last year was more, need something to reduce the air con bill.

All other quarters are around $500

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Hi @rednose, the total cost was $9190.

During summer in full sun, I have no doubt that the system will put out 50+ kWh daily.

I'll have a better idea of how it works over the next couple of weeks, as there will be a lot of overcast days and sunny days. 

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

Who was that through @Puffwagon ? 

Seems cheaper than most or am I off with  that ? 

On these new build we’re looking to do a big system and a tesla power wall as we just aren’t typically home when production will be up cranking it in and the buy back just isn’t worth it alone to do it so. It has to be a situation like yours where you either consume it or bank it in battery's  

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Hey mate, we went through Solar Wholesalers. I think as far as cost goes, it was middle of the road. The cheapest 10kw system was about $6500, and another place wanted 13 grand for the same thing we have now. 

In about 3 days we've generated about 110kWh, and sent 70 back to the grid. We've used 9kWh off peak and 22.5 peak, when the system wasn't making power. 

I know I've said before that batteries aren't worth it, but it really depends on the situation. Now that I've thought about it more, 10 to 20kWh of storage would be enough for us to never pay a bill again. 

Our system would pay for itself and 2 power walls in approximately 7 years. That obviously varies based upon how much you use during the day.

You might be able to install the system yourself mate, if you went and got solar accreditation. You've already done the hard part by getting the trade. 

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 15d

I love the idea of a battery, but my payback would be like 10 years, by which point the battery is out of warranty and probably due to be replaced...so not worth it for me. Current solar setup should be paid back in 3-4 years.

• Like 1

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

Yep we’ve run the calcs and it would be about 7 years going off of our typical consumption with a 10kw ~$10,000 system and the $10,000 tesla wall package. $20k is a decent outlay but if we have a blackout and I can run my industrial Daiken Ducted unit flat out for nearly 2 Days in the peak of summer I’m all down for that ! 

It’s a gamble how long the battery’s efficiency will go after the pay off time to see how far in front you can end up ! But everything is a Gamble these days 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Yeah it is a fair outlay but one that could be worth it. Adding a battery to an already installed system doesn't have the same cost vs reward ratio as solar by itself, but the solar will pay the battery off too eventually and you immediately have all the benefits of a battery system. It wouldn't be worth trying to go completely off grid when a grid is available, but one power wall might be the go. Haha you can let us know in ten years or so!

Also @.Stripes., I was just thinking about the export thing from before and I reckon that even though I wasn't on the solar plan, when they do a meter read it'll show the import/export data in the bill. We have new meters and they send it wirelessly so I think it'll just get sorted like that. I'm not sure but I'll find out soon enough anyway.

• Like 1

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 3d
9 hours ago, JETURBO said:

On these new build we’re looking to do a big system and a tesla power wall as we just aren’t typically home when production will be up cranking it in and the buy back just isn’t worth it alone to do it so. It has to be a situation like yours where you either consume it or bank it in battery's  

im in the same boat, never home to use it anyways. 

the buy back here is sh*t full. and not worth it.

my area is well established and im yet to see any solar panels go up which confirms to me its just not worth it anymore.

im with you jet if I could store it  and use it when we are home that's where I see it being worth it.