New Build - Home Renovations - Gardens - Garages & Sheds.

Pixy Angel

• Bob the Freaking Builder
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 6m 15d

Time for a j@ and fluff update...

So to start from the beginning...
about 18 months ago we decided we were outgrowing our house and wanted to purchase in the neighbourhood I grew up in for more space and proximity to the city.
Then one day I came up with the idea of demolishing my parents house and building two, one for us, one for them.

This is the Home I grew up in, it’s a 1920’s bungalow which has seen far better days and in a state of no repair. Mum and Dad don’t have the cash to fix it so basically we’re just going to live in a dangerous crap hole until they died.
The house, as much as it’s old and farked, is our home. All of us have lived under this roof at some point. My grandfather owned it and raised my dad and my uncles and aunties here, then my parents moved in the day after they got married some 40 years ago, then Az and I lived here for a while too.
It’s a big part of our family and something I’m going to miss.

Well a few days ago, after 18 months of surveying, planning, designing and logistical nightmares ... the bank finally said yes to the 1.1mil it’s going to take for the project.

We’re not going conservative, the homes were designed by me from scratch and some of the key features are:
- full 2 pack kitchen with induction and gas cook tops, stone bench tops and window splash back, 2.5x2m island with all draws and built in bins and lighting.
- fully equipped butlers pantry with double sink, built in dishwasher, breakfast nook and all custom cabinetry to flow into the laundry with fold out baskets, ironing board and dog hutch.
- matching 2 pack caninetry to the rest of the house with stone tops on the entertainment units etc
- recessed toilets, gold tapware, inset sinks, feature lighting, hardwood floors, timber feature staircase, wine room, fireplace and 2.7 ceilings upper and lower levels.
-giant master suite with open plan ensuite and a walk in shower room, again with 2 pack cabinetry and also matching cabinetry to the bedroom
- Home office hub which controls all media and home automation with iPads throughout the house and then the kids retreats
- huge alfresco and a backyard of 18m x 11m big enough for a swim spa and loads of grass for the kids and dog.

That’s all I can remember at this point... but basically we’re pretty excited.

Mum and Dad will also have a 2 story with the same features but a more practical layout.

We are selling our place and currently living in the destitute house while it’s being sold. We decided it was too much maintenance to keep as a rental... so as soon as that’s finished were moving into a rental and knocking this old girl down.

Here’s an example of the bathroom in it atm... I know it sounds funny, but I will miss this place and probably cry lots when it gets knocked down :( ecf289fa36286a6d7ccfe18c02c5718a.jpg
Over the next 12 months there will be loads of pictures hopefully posted and showing progress :)

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 15d
On 5/16/2018 at 9:52 PM, samhouston said:

While I’m at it, this is the new BBQ area I’ve almost finished..

efCom3W.jpg

Don't know how I missed this, but that is fancy bud - big fan! I'd love to do something similar at my place in the future.

On 5/10/2018 at 9:40 AM, .Stripes. said:

I, personally, think it looks horrible - even the "good" ones. I'm currently trying to figure out what to do with the long forgotten area down the side of my house, as it's a desolate wasteland of ugliness and it'd be nice to open the blinds in the living room down that side of the house again haha. But the GF has a dog and I currently have no lawn out the back...so it gets kinda annoying having to put pants on to take him out the front to go to the toilet, so I'm half tempted to put some actual lawn down that side (with a garden bed(s) against the fence) so that I can just let him out the back and he has somewhere to go and do his business that doesn't involve him treading through dirt or the garden beds. Plus a bit of green down that side of the house would be nice. It's not an overly massive area though...so not sure how good it'd look.

Problem is that I've only got one retic line run down that side of the house, so whatever I plant there will need to be running off the same retic station - so I'm not too sure how well it'll work watering that little patch of lawn on the same station as the front garden beds (it was the only way I could run retic down that side of the house effectively).

Further to this ^ another issue I was trying to figure out was that the liquid limestone path that runs along the back of my house, between the house and fence, has drainage issues, so I was trying to come up with a way to be able to let the dog out down the side of the house to use the lawn (when it's in) without having to let him go through the flooded path and drag the water and mud back inside the house. I considered a dog door in the glass window in the laundry, but not a huge fan of that from a security standpoint, plus the cost associated with it when replacing the whole glass panel too. Then considered maybe putting a normal door where the window currently is...but that could also be pretty expensive.

Not sure why I thought it would be an expensive option, but it seems like my cheapest and most logical solution is to just get my drainage issues sorted. Spoke to a concrete chap who does retrospective drainage solutions and seems like it'll probably end up costing considerably less than either door options. So think I'm going to go down that path, as combined with the lawn and garden bed stuff I reckon I should be able to sort the whole lot for not much more than a grand...but we'll see. Hoping to try and sort it over my next 8 day break, starting Wednesday.

Also on the cards is a hallway door, which due to the style that I want and the fact that it's a non-standard size frame means I'm looking at around $750 to get one made, not including hardware or paint. Houses are such money pits. On the plus side, seems like the dampness issue I was having in my bay-window is finally sorted :dancing:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 15d

Cheers, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out...especially after having to shovel and move 30 bags of sand. See how it goes. It's a fairly shade resistant buffalo and ran retic for it...but we'll see how it goes.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

I poured the dregs of my E85 from a jerry can and killed a weed. that's gardening done for me for the year....

• Like 3
  • Haha 2