Creaking

PyRo

• Member For: 9y 9m 3d

Hi,

I have a FG XR6T which is starting to creak at low speeds and if I have to break hard to stop, the front bar scrapes against the road.

The car has done just shy of 100,000km and gets treated roughly, and that's not to mention the start/stop traffic. The noise appears on the front suspension (mostly left hand side however also on right). When I purchased the car approximately 20,000 km's ago, I was told the control arms and diff bushes were already changed.

I'm looking to replace with Monroe shocks and King springs. I've been quoted $750 for parts, around 4 hours labour ($1100ish all up in Melbourne).

Do you think this will help or the problem is likely something else? I'm getting some new Bridgestone RE003 so thinking of doing it before the tyre change.

Thanks Ya'll

Edited by PyRo

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 30d

Creaks could be any random bush. Try a local Pedders to have a look....they used to do inspection report for $22 or something (hopefully still do it). But if they charge hourly rates, then find a good suspension shop.

Replacing suspension wont hurt....if you can stretch more....buy bilstein or koni shocks. Also research that price...cause I saw monroe + springs for $600 odd on ebay back in the day.

If you want the rear slightly lower than fronts, you will need SSL fronts and SSSL rears. And sometimes SSL all round can look level, but sometimes it doesnt (kinda weird when I've looked at other peoples pics).

• Member For: 9y 9m 3d

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

Should the car bottom out during braking?

I don't know how people deal with lowered suspension, my car scrapes on every drive way unless I take it on an angle and its stock from my knowledge

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 30d

Nah no scraping from braking? Obviously if I do a hell extreme stop, the front end will dip a little, but wouldn't scrape; so yours sounds a bit extreme? Lol

And yeh....even stock I can scrape on steep driveways (or those stupid block things at the end of car park bays at shopping centres).

Still won't stop me from lowering though just try and avoid those situations or go slow if you can lol

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m

Scraping when braking, are you sure it's nosing over that much? Maybe your stone tray is hanging down, take a look. I took mine off for good a couple years back after it got bashed to pieces on parking lot barriers and then ripped off from going 222km/h on an airstrip.

Unless you have like collapsed or wildly incorrect springs it would be pretty incredible for the nose to hit under braking, surely?? Get a gopro mounted under there and post up a vid hahaha...or get a mate to lay down on the side walk while you do an emergency stop and he films it. Better if one of you has a new smartphone that can do 60 frames per second video :)