Desperately Need Help - New Built Engine With Strange Sound.

HI PSI

• Member For: 17y 10m 3d

I tried to get a hold of Daryn a few times during the week and received a call from him tonight. The engine has been pulled and stripped down. They found the upper thrust bearing was blue, so the cause is being investigated. Ie:- The tunnel and crank are being checked for straightness. Other than there are no other obvious problems. The only other thing that I could think to check (that he hasn't already) was the valve springs potentially causing the harmonics. So, he's going to check them also....

I'll keep you posted on his progress. :D

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I haven't spoken to Daryn  in AGES. I'll call him tomorrow for an update.

I do believe that the car has been racing,  so it must be fixed..

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 6y 3m 17d

Sorry to post on a old thread just wondering if anyone has worked out the cause of the sound, my fg xrt is making the same sound, it also has atomic timing parts and oil pump

cheers

• 1 month later...
  • miso xr6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 3m 19d

I have heard this sound before, usually hear it when someone goes a bigger cam and still run the original vernier sprockets. 

Or it could just be a faulty vernier sprocket .

Essentially, he replaced every component  (except for rhe crank and rods) in a effort to identify the cause. Verniers included.

In the end, he never found the cause.  He just ran the car (over 1500 rwhp) and has not had any issues with component damage or failure since. The engine will be pulled again soon, so as to check bearings etc. I'll update it the thread if he finds anything....

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 1m 16d

Farrrrg....

Ignorant question from a "bolt on mods" guy (nah that doesn't sound weird at all...), roughly what would that sort of exercise cost to turn around? Ie. Pull motor, replace everything as u described...obviously his own labour but even so

That's dedication :respeckt:

• Member For: 5y 3m 24d

How do I post a question? Im just posting my stuff by replying to this, anyway, I just replaced my 15 xr6 turbos bov with a turbosmart kompact plumb back, I noticed when I removed the stock valve it seemed like it was installed wrong as the plunger inside the valve was on the turbo inlet side and not just before the throttle body, which would mean the valve wouldn't even be functioning because it needs the pressure in the pipes before the throttle body to open the valve as well as vacuum from the inlet manifold tube on the top of the bov. I was thinking of testing the valves individually by plumbing them to atmosphere and going for a quick drive, and swapping the way they are plumbed around and listening for a whoosh sound. Seems weird ford would install them the wrong way round. There's another 15 xr6 on trade me here in nz and the engine bay pic shows its plumbed the same way mine was with the hose on the bov facing forward, also while installing a intake muffler delete kit, I wiggled the turbo shaft and seems to have quite a lot of play, fore and aft and side to side, I'm hoping its not stuffed and wondering whether it could be because of compressor surge because the bov not working