Desperately Need Help - New Built Engine With Strange Sound.

HI PSI

• Member For: 17y 10m 4d

All aftermarket components have previously been refitted in an attempt to identify the issue. Unfortunately, all to no avail. I'm currently over in W.A and as a result, I haven't spoken to Darren since my last post here. I will try to call him tomorrow , to see if he has made any progress.

Cheers

Brad

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 9m

Loosening chain tension and lowering the RPM when the noise starts (as described earlier):

This reminds me of tuning a guitar string (change the tension and the vibration changes) - again pointing to resonance in the chain.

The questions I would be trying to work out.

Is it possible that there is resonance in the chain?

Why would it be happening in this motor?

How can you confirm or rule it out?

What can be done to change/fix it?

• 2 weeks later...

Daryn is extremely disenchanted with the ordeal. He's owned the car for two years and only managed around 70km. For this reason he has put it on the back burner. I believe that the motor will be pulled and stripped down. When th8s will occur, is anyone's guess.

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 14y 11m 13d

I have a pretty much factory motor and I get the same things but mine is around 2000rpm, I took the pump out as I thought there was an issue. there was a fraction of sideways movement in the pump gears, I wonder if that's enough movement to get a vibration sound.

The engine is dry sumped. It still has the factory housing installed, but with no gears installed. :-(

Thanks for the thought, it is greatly appreciated...

Darryn just called me before and he's still devastated about the whole ordeal. So much so, that he was just going to put the engine under a bench and forget about it. After chatting for a while, he said that he will pull the engine down after Christmas and recheck everything. During the call he informed me that he is investigating some radical changes to the platform. As you can well understand, he wants to keep it low key for the time being. But, if it proves to be viable, it will be a game changer......