Tailshaft Centre Bearing

norrs

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 8m 28d

Hi guys, ford have said my tail shaft centre bearing is worn and the rubber is split.

They want $1630 to fix it

The car has only done 90,000km

Anyway three questions:

1. I have an auto - how hard is this to do myself

2. Do I or should I replace the uni joint at the same time - can I do that myself

3. I have 367rwkw should I be replacing them with oem parts or is there something better to use

I do recall changing my uni joint on my Datsun about 20 years ago but I can't recall how hard it was with normal tools

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 4m 16d

Ford have a habit of wanting to replace the whole tailshaft. Your not the first bloke they have tried to do this on. If it is just the centre bearing that needs replacing it is a fairly easy job and can be done with basic hand tools.

There is a very detailed thread on here somewhere with pics and everything that makes the job super simple. Would only take a mechanic an hour or 2 if you not comftable having a stab yourself.

Edited by bamk2f6tornado

• Donating Members

Ok I found this and will have a read http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/90417-centre-bearing-replacement/?hl=centre+bearing

Sorry I did a search on my phone app and it didn't find what I was looking for but my PC was better

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 29d

Some times it is not an easy job! Some times the uni can not be removed

Go get some quotes from driveline shops

Should be able to get an even stronger shaft for half that price

What state are you in?

• Donating Members

Darwin Mate. my tuner did mention a while back that I should look into a stronger tailshaft as it may be the next weak link. I also have an upgraded ZF. yeah I'll call around and see what their quotes are Vs Ford.

I see it needs to be rebalanced after the change so I suppose I should take it to a shop.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 25d

^^^ FG right? My Ford said there was no part number just to buy the centre bearing on its own (for the FG) LOL

I didn't care anyways cause got whole tailshaft replaced and balanced by them under aftermarket warranty (think the job was around $1800 so OP is probably quoted a whole new tailshaft).

But yeh Norrs if you're paying for it; may as well go upgraded for piece of mind? At over 360rwkw, you will probably need tailshaft eventually (then ZF auto rebuild, stronger CV's and probably other stuff too)....apparently people have seen this stuff break at 350rwkw (but most are happy to risk it if they have 360-390rwkw).

• Like 1

• Member For: 15y 9m 3d

1. I have an auto - how hard is this to do myself

2. Do I or should I replace the uni joint at the same time - can I do that myself

3. I have 367rwkw should I be replacing them with oem parts or is there something better to use

1) I've done the job three times on utes, but they are a CV joint and much easier to pull apart than a universal joint.

There are photos of each job in my Tornado threads:

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/89684-2006-fpv-tornado-f6-ute-cleanup-resurrection/page-2#entry1521879

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/90489-2007-fpv-tornado-ute-tinkering-setup/page-2#entry1551154

2) My understanding is the the universal joint usually requries replacing at the same time, but not always. If you've got the time and resources then remove the tail shaft and get the universal joint checked. I'd be surprised if it needs replacing after 90,000km.

3) I've used centre bearings from Hardy Spicer - http://www.hardyspicer.com.au Doesn't look like they have a branch in Darwin, but call head office and see if they can refer you to someone there. There's no reason why you can't get a Hardy Spicer bearing sent to you and have a local workshop fit it for you. A taxi workshop would be the cheapest place.

• Member For: 15y 9m 3d

I deal with Steve at Bianca Automotive - 122 Angove Street, North Perth.

There's actually a 24hr callout guy these days, $50 callout fee and $50 for the first look - 0435 078 682.

I recently found a place at 86 Beechboro Road, Bayswater. Guy called Angelo. Knows lots about Falcons. 0412 124 902

There's Metro Taxi Management in Morley. I deal with a guy there called Rio sometimes.

Basically, taxi mechanics deal with Falcons all the time, so they know them very, very well. It's all about getting the job done fast and cheap.

They won't know anything about turbo stuff, but everything else on the car is basic Falcon XT stuff, ie bearings, etc.