Looking To Buy An "action Camera" For Use On The Car.

Ezy2Confuze

• Member For: 14y 5m 13d

I've been thinking of getting an action camera - after watching how many people put exhaust sound and general driving videos up on Youtube - for a while now and after a recent run we had in Perth, thought it would be handy for posting up scenery etc. as part of future cruises, plus I want to take part in some advanced driver training sessions, which would be handy to have footage on.

I'm really liking Sony's offerings as they at least have decent image stabilisation software built in, plus there's the really handy Live-View Remote which is basically a device on your wrist that allows you to scroll between multiple cameras to check the footage on the fly. I was thinking of getting two camera's, one for the side and one on the roof.

Has anyone had any experience with either the Sony's or other brands? I've seen a heap of info on GoPro's but on most Youtube video review's, the video looks dark and colours like white snow, blue sky etc. look all washed out.

I'm currently leaning towards their HDRAS200V which retails for $399 http://www.sony.com.au/product/hdr-as200v?tabName=specifications&ajax=true#disclaimer

Edited by Ezy2Confuze

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 4d

Whatever you get make sure it's tied to the car somehow as a backup safety device. Kyle's GoPro fell off his car on the Pemberton run and we were lucky we could chuck a U-ie in time before the trucks we'd passed caught up and flattened it!

• Feeling the Love :-)
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 26d

Whatever you get make sure it's tied to the car somehow as a backup safety device. Kyle's GoPro fell off his car on the Pemberton run and we were lucky we could chuck a U-ie in time before the trucks we'd passed caught up and flattened it!

True story.

I make my own mounts from alluminium and bolt them on.

I dont trust the plastic mounts and besides that, they vibrate to much.

edit, I use a gopro silver Hero 3+

Edited by bloodycrashboy

• Expert
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 2d

From reading the post I say you've already made your mind up before posting. Sony!!

Me Gopro. Its smaller and sits closer to the car plus more range of mounts.

• Member For: 9y 2m 15d

Our in store testing shows the Sony only marginally better (real world) plus the Sony will fit all go pro mounts with adaptor available separately. Go pro have remote view finder with app on your phone/tablet and video transfer to your device with easy upload to you tube from said device. Also if wanting more options later the go pro is king with full support, even Drones that follow you as you drive and record. I am giving away the viewing screen with the Sony this month valued at $99 plus the Sony has but in gps for speed tracking which is cool.

Hope that helped!

• Like 1

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 27d

I just got the Go pro Hero. It is small as f*ck and the only issue is that it has the battery built in. cant swap it. cant remove the camera out of the casing.

Got it for half price and was brand new in the box. Easy to use but it has no remove view, so you have no idea what you are recording until you view the footage.

Stay away from the cheapies is all I have to say.

A mate got the sony 4k version of the link you put up. He got it at some special price of $350. not sure how he pulled it off.

http://www.sony.com.au/product/fdr-x1000v?hpid=fdr-x1000v:model:hub:mainbanner

I think there is more support for the go pro as it has been around, but there is nothing to say that you may get the same support for the sony if more people buy the damn thing.

• Member For: 9y 2m 15d

I think there is more support for the go pro as it has been around, but there is nothing to say that you may get the same support for the sony if more people buy the damn thing.

^ Go Pro going no were even if Sony increased sales 300% they wouldn't be at a quarter of Go Pro sales :( pity but true!