Fg Heat Exchanger Genuine Vs Aftermarket (Eg:pwr)

• Member For: 8y 8m 21d

Hmmm. Ok. So would I be better off with a trans cooler. Basically want to prevent milkshake. Will be getting zf built soon. So want to "bulletproof it"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I'm getten too old for this s**t
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 12d

Spend the money and buy the PWR unit or run the risk of the standard Ford unit stuffing up....remember, it is only a small percentage that do fail but the second they fail - it's already too late.

I'd also like to know what people you are referring too. I hope it's not all the "experts" on facebook

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 24d

I think the issue here is that PWR make both a heat exchanger kit (the good one that most people will have - $800+) and the oil to air cooler kit (I.e. furious performance kit on ebay which uses a PWR unit with associated joiners, hose, etc - $350+ I think?).

The cheaper one is the gauranteed to stop milkshake method...BUT its the one that can run "too hot or cold". With the ZF being super fussy with temps, I was advised to go the PWR heat exchanger kit...cause mimics OEM functionality and is larger and looks better made than Ford exchanger. But there is still people who use the furious kit without issues apparently???

If these "people" mentioned by OP were indeed referring to the PWR heat exchanger kit...then they are stupids :P

• Member For: 10y 4m 30d

Most decent kits come with a fan and temp control that won't bring it on until around 90 degrees which is operating temp for the zf, switching off again at around 85 degrees and will do a good job, a better job than an exchanger of keeping it in that window under harsh conditions. I can see how warmup could take longer, but its kind of a moot point. Don't flog your car until its warm.

Normal driving conditions well, I don't know I haven't had a trans cooler on a zf but I will be going that way when I service soon, so will monitor temps under normal conditions when I do. I don't trust the OEM unit, PWR unit is obviously better quality but overpriced IMO, I mean you can buy a fkn intercooler off them for just about the same price...whilst I do maintain my car well, I have to it cops a hiding so I think the trans cooler is for me. Plenty of people running them without issue and its been years now so safe to say it works fine. The myth they are terrible for your gearbox is exactly that...

Now, cue heat exchanger fan boys that will blatantly ignore the fact they aren't real good if your trans actually needs cooling and will focus on the fact they keep them within OT under normal conditions and warm your trans up quicker if you live in fkn Alaska....

• Like 1

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 27d

cue air 2 oil cooler guys saying "nah mate my trans feels fine" then over time start admitting they have shift issues when cold.

Barnz have you actually held a pwr unit in your hand? Weight alone is a good indication of quality vs the stock unit.

• Like 1

• Member For: 10y 4m 30d

No I haven't nor did I say they weren't of better quality? Just expensive for what they are man...

Mine flares a little when cold with the stock exchanger, I expect this probably goes on for longer with an air cooler. Obviously engineers do things for a reason and the exchanger has its merits. I also know that you know if any box is getting a hiding for any extended period of time(track use, "legal" hill climbs....towing ect) an exchanger setup is not going to look after it. So either solution is a compromise in some way, correct?

Well being a prosparkoligist I had previously had an idea that seems a little to easy for no one to have thought of it yet...but I'm still not going to share just yet as it may just be a winner. Doesn't involve water for a start but would warm up faster than the exchanger with all the benefits of a air cooler....trans fluid isn't conductive is it...I mean at all? Its quite important that its not so I really need to make sure of that first and get around to making a test kit...I have another idea if that won't work but complexity and cost would probably rule it out...

Edited by barnz

• Too heavy needs boost
  • Member For: 10y 8m 13d

Run a furious kit through a pwr exchanger. Pwr kit gets its upto temp and the oil/air cooler will help out when smashing it around track when it wants to get hot. Maybe it might work?

• Like 2

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 23d

that's a good set up. Did the same in our territory, but used a new genuine heat exchanger. We tow a bit

• Like 1