Ralph Wiggum

Diy Tuning

It is not a time effective solution to try and tune an injector without solid bench test data. You can get it in the ballpark to drive well and it is a good tuning exercise but it is more of an art than a science.

I did this exercise with the Old Nizpro drilled injectors years ago. Nizpro gave their data out to their tuners but the cars did not cold start properly, a  sign your numbers are out. I had some advice from a forum member that the injectors flowed alot less than advertised and to start off with a hi slope of 60lb/hr vs nispros 72lb/hr.  This was key to getting me sane as I was hovering around the Nizpro numbers scratching my head. Once you start understanding how breakpoint, min p/w, injector offset all affect fueling down low then you can start juggling and with a good air fuel ratio meter and with alot of headache you can achieve good drivability. I'd rather just pay to get some ID injectors with proper data. Tuning high power/load is easy, tuning for drivability on an unknown injector sorts the men from the boys and maybe something you should leave for down the track with more tuning experience.

Edited by turbotrana

Thanks guys - that is all very interesting info.

@Puffwagon - Thanks for that.  I think that was just cell formatting which I've now fixed.  Thanks @DarrylC for the offer, however given the BA is dead I probably won't use those injectors now as probably not a decent enough jump over the factory FG injectors.

I'm a bit confused as although the supplied data is for 39 PSI, don't the multipliers then operate to scale for various fuel pressures?  I've done that using a graph as the relationships aren't linear.

When I grab injectors for the FG I might still give injector tuning a go as a learning exercise, but will make sure I've got access to good data to fall back on if I need it.

It's all pretty easy to work out if you know what things are doing and why they are doing them.

The only thing you need to bench test and get 100% right is the dead times at various pressures which cant be done with guess work.

8 hours ago, turbotrana said:

It is not a time effective solution to try and tune an injector without solid bench test data. You can get it in the ballpark to drive well and it is a good tuning exercise but it is more of an art than a science.

I did this exercise with the Old Nizpro drilled injectors years ago. Nizpro gave their data out to their tuners but the cars did not cold start properly, a  sign your numbers are out. I had some advice from a forum member that the injectors flowed alot less than advertised and to start off with a hi slope of 60lb/hr vs nispros 72lb/hr.  This was key to getting me sane as I was hovering around the Nizpro numbers scratching my head. Once you start understanding how breakpoint, min p/w, injector offset all affect fueling down low then you can start juggling and with a good air fuel ratio meter and with alot of headache you can achieve good drivability. I'd rather just pay to get some ID injectors with proper data. Tuning high power/load is easy, tuning for drivability on an unknown injector sorts the men from the boys and maybe something you should leave for down the track with more tuning experience.

Nizpro drilled injector.

NeDG0wn.jpg

Ce2hyIM.jpg

Best stock image I could find to show difference

injector_comp.jpg

Edited by arronm

Good data saves you hours. If you put a dollar figure on your time it is a no brainer dollar wise to go for flow matched injectors with known to be workable data. 

I bought KPM 1000cc injectors for that reason being flow matched and having all data provided. Sadly I bought B series injectors when I'm now going to be using an FG intake manifold! Washer spacers will have to do....

I've also still got "Eugene" injectors, drilled injectors from RDP (Dyno Steve lol) which Steve said were 60lb and a standard BA intank fuel pump with the fuel pressure relief grub screw mod....farking showing my age now!

I  put ID1000 in the F6 (for E85) and the 12 year old drilled injectors went into my territory.. Still idles and drives great..

Tuning an unknown set of Injectors to perform well  is problably one of the best learning exercises you can undertake IMO. This is why I did it and while it was a bit of a headache, I am glad I did it. I still scratch my head with the data Nizpro supplied with their drilled injectors and how on earth their installers used that really off data. While the Nizpro Injectors don't look pretty in the pictures, they still did the job if tuned properly in their day.

Yep, I've slowly been collecting parts for the F6X. Mostly second hand items apart from the fuel side of things which I'd prefer to buy new like the Bosch 1000cc and a Walbro 460 intank pump from VPW. Think I'll go an external surge setup also but just need to find a suitable surge tank....I've already been through one front diff so far also and this car is a kunt to work on!

We have sign off on the Flex Fuel for the Falcon :bliss:

We have also added table resize so now you can have higher resolution on things like Spark MBT and BLK. Of course they get "Flexed" so the dual map version is the same size.

Will be released next week to customers. 

A big thank you to Danny at Springy Performance and Stathi at Independent Motor Sports.

Danny will be offering kits and config files to allow you to install it on your car.

Biggest win for me is the dual maps so that I can just switch between LPG and petrol and the PCM will use different, timing, fuel, ... This will be really handy for cars with NOS (wet or dry)

Check out Danny's video here:

I have been watching this thread for a bit and I am not sure if I missed it or not.

Do you guys have a recommended Wide band gauge to use and what interface do you guys use to monitor it all when logging?

Do you guys have something like the HP tuners dongle?

Need abit of help gents as I haven’t got time to go searching through multiple threads for an answer. Need to do an auto to manual conversion on a fg n/a pcm so looking for exactly which tables will need to be changed to suit or is it easier to flash a manual tune straight in?  Car is a mates for burnouts was previously a 5spd but they sh*t themselves constantly so he converted it to a manualised btr but cant get anyone to disable the auto settings.

would rather do the changes to the tune in the car so I don’t have to license another file on a possibility of it not working. PCMTEC is the software ?

With our software you can do a compare of an auto and manual file, then use this information to see what tables and scalars need changing. Otherwise it is easier to just flash a manual file in that is of the same OSID and vehicle type (eg don't use a file from a ute in a sedan or you will have ABS comms faults etc).

If you use PCMTEC then you can use the calibration merge tools to merge the VIN/Serial from your existing licensed file into another calibration that is manual (ensure it is the same OSID eg you merge HACCKGA -> HACCK**) and you won't have to re-license the file.

Is the vehicle already licensed with PCMTEC ?

Edited by rollex

Vehicle isn’t licensed yet I’ve only said I’ll go help today as he’s desperate to get it done and couldn’t find anyone else to help. Don’t know the OSID yet will have to check when I go out there.. are they printed on the label on the pcm? I can get him to check that way can try find a matching manual file if you have one.

Vehicle is a Ute and being 5spd I’m guessing fg mk1

Also thanks for the quick reply mate

Edited by eff xr6t

Am currently tuning my own car and was wondering if anyone could help me out / point me in the right direction in regards to ZF tuning.
Have got all the engine tuning sorted out (HP Academy was very helpful for bulk knowledge gain in short amount of time !)

I've started by flashing the FGX sprint ZF tune. From that I have raised the line pressures by that of 10%. Also have reduced slip time by 20% and added a little extra torque reduction in the high load sections.

Anyone able to chime in (or PM me) if this seems like a reasonable or bad approach, or what you would suggest? I can’t find any example ZF tunes online so would appreciate any help!

Thanks!

I think you'll find that any tuning information is a big secret when it comes to tuning the ZF, but there's alot more to it than adjusting line pressures, etc.

Alot of it is trial and error with your own ZF if tuning yourself, lots of logging and seeing how it responds.

There's some information in the HP tuners forums that are related to the ZF and 6R80 platforms, so have a read.