Diy Tuning

Ralph Wiggum

• Member For: 13y 8m 8d

Im personally interested in tuning, but it is difficult to get info. I actually think that there is an opportunity to have an all vehicle Australian based forum, as the necessary tools for in car tuning are well within reach from a cost perspective. Great thread Ralphie.

Cheers

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 3m 10d

I am surprised that no one has done a tuning guide for VCM suite. I have seen guides for GM vehicles but no one so far has done a step by step guide for the tables to look at and adjust in VCM.

The best place to put a wideband is on the turbo dump. Best just to weld in an extra bung. Using the tailpipe is not the best way as it does take time for the exhaust to get to the rear and it does not give a good reading at idle. If you datalog the data does not closely match RPM/Load when it is in the tailpipe. Tuners who use still use the tailpipe should be shot.

Innovate have good wideband sensors and logging software.

If you are a novice just forget the timing advance maps. If using stock maps any knock detection is not needed.

You might need a SCT handheld tuner to datalog the Wideband along side RPM and MAP. It will give the best chance of knowing where you are in the tune. But I reckon you could get an inovate to get valid datalogging data also.

I want to get rid of the Nizpro injectors in my car which was tuned with a SCT so I need to start getting familiar with the VCM software. I have alot of tuning experience so I can help there (that's easy) but I need help with the VCM software.

What injectors were you thinking of using?

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 5d

I am surprised that no one has done a tuning guide for VCM suite. I have seen guides for GM vehicles but no one so far has done a step by step guide for the tables to look at and adjust in VCM.

The best place to put a wideband is on the turbo dump. Best just to weld in an extra bung. Using the tailpipe is not the best way as it does take time for the exhaust to get to the rear and it does not give a good reading at idle. If you datalog the data does not closely match RPM/Load when it is in the tailpipe. Tuners who use still use the tailpipe should be shot.

Innovate have good wideband sensors and logging software.

If you are a novice just forget the timing advance maps. If using stock maps any knock detection is not needed.

You might need a SCT handheld tuner to datalog the Wideband along side RPM and MAP. It will give the best chance of knowing where you are in the tune. But I reckon you could get an inovate to get valid datalogging data also.

I want to get rid of the Nizpro injectors in my car which was tuned with a SCT so I need to start getting familiar with the VCM software. I have alot of tuning experience so I can help there (that's easy) but I need help with the VCM software.

Demo:

http://www.hptuners.com/index.php

Also I wouldn't be relying on fords timing table if you plan to increase boost above standard. Especially in a b series

• Member For: 20y 11m 27d

I have some Ford Racing/Bosch G302/0280158117 EV14s. They are a 8 hole injector and will flow 60lb (635cc) at 4 bar. There is a calibration table that comes with this particular injector that should assist tuning.

I bought my FG modified (something I swear I would never do as I have always modified my own cars) but it was done professionally by a workshop with all good bits for free basically but I just dont like the Nizpro drilled injectors. THey have sh*tty behaviours which the G302s should rectify and still give me the 365kw it has now.

Thanks for the Demo link also.

Edited by turbotrana

• Member For: 18y 8m 20d

I ran 4.5 bar with those injectors when I tested them at roughly that power, but my mixtures are fairly fat. What is your actual lambda and boost at the redline, I'll tell you roughly what duty cycle you will be at. If you need a bit more flow and have spare pump capacity you can have this reg, it's a drop in replacement and is blueprinted to 4.5. Tuning wise you just need to adjust all injector scaling tables to suit. Very basic task.

In regards to the Nizpro squirters, have a look at the calibration and I bet your injector offset table is factory, you breakpoint is quite low (under 0.000017 lb per stroke) and your injector slopes are on the pi$$. I.e the high slope is higher than the low slope. I'm not at all a fan of drilled injectors but I found the nizpro items to work ok, apart from them being thirsty, obviously atomize poorly.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 4m 6d
Where Standard vs. Pro differ is the Pro version offers stand-alone data logging that allows you to scan the car without hauling a computer along with you. The Pro version also accepts 0-5V inputs so that you can log air fuel ratio (or other information) along with your OBD2 parameters. With that said, I would seriously consider the MPVI Pro if you have (or are planning) any sort of modifications to the vehicle(s) you will be tuning as this will allow you to data log your Air Fuel Ratio etc. and display it right along with the parameters logged with HP Tuners Scanner. This eliminates the need to analyze data from a separate software system, or worse yet, write down the AFR at certain RPM and load points. Otherwise, if you will not be modifying the vehicle, the Standard will be more than sufficient.

Does that mean I can get the pro version and connect and wideband o2 sensor directly without the need of another logger? That would be neat.

Edited by Paulie2256

• Member For: 13y 8m 8d

Does that mean I can get the pro version and connect and wideband o2 sensor directly without the need of another logger? That would be neat.

Certainly appears to be the case Paulie. Cheap as chips too. Cheers

• Member For: 18y 8m 20d

Might as well get an LM-2. Does the same thing but much easier to use and a neater mobile unit. You can also wire it into the xcal. My LM-2 analog cable has outputs for the xcal2 (mini din), xcal3 (FireWire) and a generic for aftermarket ECU's that I tinker with. As long as the ground offsets are configured correctly its a weapon combo.