Diy Tuning

Ralph Wiggum

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 12y 4m

Hi, I have purchased pcmtec. I have been looking at my PCM tune provided with the car. its running a gtx3582r and 1000cc injectors, ford fg, stock motor. 390rwkw.

I can monitor air/fuel ratios.

Boost is targeted to dropoff after 4500 rpms (auF16459).  I thought with a turbo car, boost would be kept to the same until redline? maybe its a strategy to save the gearbox. My spark table looks the same as stock (via pcmtec compare function) but the fuel table (auF0172) has been changed.

Can anyone provide advice on this? Anything I can change?

boost.png

fuel.png

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

I’m saying what are you trying to change ? 

If you change your fuelling what are you changing it to and why ?

how will you know exactly when you’ve hit the mark you want to hit ?

Why are you going to change your boost target and what will you change it to and why ? 

There’s a plethora of factors you need to understand and ascertain when making changes, once you’ve made a change how will you know it actually was a positive gain vs what you “think” is a gain 

To help anyone out who’s having a “Stab” n go Tune take this on board 

The numbers you see in a Tune are unique to the car and hardware, The target in the tune may be very different to the target needed for the end tune goal 

Know what the tune is requesting AND why and Data log direct changes to the vehicle..... Yes a majority you won’t “Feel” in your bum Dyno or maybe to small for your $30 boost Gauge and $150 AFR gauge 

Remember if you’re trying to “Better” a professional workshops tune make sure you have the correct equipment and skill to know you actually have with irrefutable Data generation ( again your bum Dyno won’t capture this ) 

Be mindful that if workshops could tune cars on the street with less than a few hundred bucks worth of equipment they would have ...... ;) 

Remember tune cells aren’t always what they “Seem” to be on face value as they nearly all interact with other cells and the Falcon is always utilising multiple cells at any one time 

Mechanical hardware needs to work with electronic input and mechanical will always win if it’s not correct, some situations can still net a target result which may show weird numbers in a cell ;) 

just sayn 

• Thanks 1

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

I’m not being condescending, even if that’s how it reads but I’m giving away a bunch of truth bombs people can take on board and hopefully understand why I’ve said what I have :) 

I've done plenty of “Street tuning” in the past and now I understand why it was so far from purposeful for the total task of “Tuning” correctly. Yeh use it to set up some basics but you’ll see why a Dyno is worth every cent when you use one and you will also then see why Performance workshops do the things they do in a tune on a specific car if you examine and R&D the crap out of it .... on the assumption the performance workshop had done a good job of the custom tune and modifications on said vehicle 

if done correctly any change you make should have a negative result ;)  

• Member For: 8y 5m 20d

There's is nothing wrong with road tuning if done correctly. Just need to make sure you collect the right data so you know you're heading in the right direction and not pushing the limits of engine or hardware.

Many cars get road tuned and set up on the street then checked and finished on the dyno.