Fg Xr6T Bad Idle....coils?

PTR_NITRO_FG

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 30d

Hey peeps...just noticed this has happened 3 times so far (happened twice during cold morning start and once last Friday after work).

Would this video indicate coil packs possibly starting to fail? It seems to bounce around until I rev the engine out. When revved it stops the weird idle.

Car is zf, stock other than ss growler and has done 132,000kms...let me know what you rekon? Pretty random but I'm guessing nothing to stress about until it does it consistently every start or until it starts breaking down during driving?

Sorry about sh*t portrait view and bulk movement lol......Cheers!

Edited by PTR_NITRO_FG

• Member For: 21y 25d

Not coil packs IMO. Seems like you got an exhaust leak there and number six exhaust valve clearance is a bit high.

You would need to put a data logger on to see what is happening a bit better. I'd fix the leak first (if there is one, a bit hard to hear) . Then you would want to see o2 sensor function and how well it trims at idle.

• Donating Members

Exhaust leak hey....interesting. have to admit the exhaust nuts havent been torqued since 40,000kms ago (and never checked intake ones).

I have an sct x4...I think it can do basic logging..but guessing it wont do what you're suggesting I should get done. Thanks for your input! :spoton:

• Donating Members

Lol...I guess since it has only happened 3 times over the last 3 weeks...I'm not too concerned. But obviously the car needs to be good before any mods happen.

So close to that tune....tax back + steal some of the mrs bonus then power lol

• Sandtrap Motorsport
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 5m

If it's a leak - best way to test is to spray aerosol around the manifold ... The rpm will go up if there's a leak.

Start Ya Bastard would be best to use

• Donating Members

Would a leak only show on start up? Why would it disappear once the car is warmed up I.e. would the gasket warm up and expand which stops the leak...?

Dumb question....but are you supposed to spray the manifold first and then start the car and see if the revs go up? Or are you supposed to spray it whilst the car is running and see if the revs move? Thanks :spoton:

• Member For: 21y 25d

We are talking about an exhaust manifold, not an inlet manifold. No spraying.

I hope I have not given you a run around. If you put up a video without surrounding noise in the background it would be alot easier to hear.

Generally the noise will stay the same hot or cold. I might use a hose to the ear to the exhaust leak to pin point, sometimes you can see black, sometimes you can feel it with your hand. Sometimes you know its there but you just gotta take it apart to see where.