Had My First Major Prang, Should I Repair Or Spec-Up The Front End End

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 5m 22d

Damp evening + crappy road + my lead food & poor judgement = a new friend out of a chain link fence.

post-53492-0-25371900-1437655657_thumb.j

So the bumpers cosmetically ruined, bonnets dinged in a bit, headlight is covered in scratches however not broken, a few scratches on the quarter panel & there's a newly installed leaf blower under the hood stealing all my boost. From the looks of it the piping is all mangled up but the bottom of the intercooler is also dinted up a little bit.

post-53492-0-82851100-1437655931_thumb.j

Now I always wanted an F6 bumper and since one headlight already wants replacing I figured ill just get 2 new F6 (same as g6) ones. There are fibreglass F6 bumpers for $310 raw on ebay. QUESTIONS: Anyone experienced these bumpers? They any good? Where else should I look? Whats a paint job roughly gonna cost? Do F6 & xr & G6 all have the same fog lights?

I may get a chance to pull it apart and get a closer look friday night, otherwise not till sunday. QUESTIONS: Driving with a big air leak shouldn't be a problem should it? its blowing out extra air rather than sucking in dirt so I should be right to drive the 10min to & from work?

Now if there's no actual hole torn in the intercooler it should be just fine to leave in there? just slightly less efficient? If not I might pony up for a PW Stage 2

Ill go see a panel beater about fixing the bonnet, not interested in an xr8 one. I might vinyl wrap the bonnet & the roof as it gets covered in bird crap every day at work atm rather than repainting the bonnet. If I'm lucky I think the quarter panel marks may buff out.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

Cooler piping (both cold and hot side) often is the piping susceptible to the extra pressure and the sometimes subsequent hose disconnection under said pressure... I've driven my car plenty with a hose disconnected.

It does pose some minor risk, though... But ultimately I'd be okay with driving it to work like that.

• Like 1

I'll be fixing it as soon as physically possible so it's only temporary. I plan to make it faster than an F6 so I reckon it's worthy of the bumper

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

• Expert
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 1d

Bummer dude.

If you think the cost will be to high just go with your insurance. if not start looking around.

Ill look at sourcing out the bumper and bonnet second hand same colour save money of respray. If you want an F6 bumper get one. F6 front would look better than a G6 front end on a ute plus G6 dont have fog lights. Only the G6ET have running day lights

It depends on how much damage to the intercooler and pipes but doesnt look that bad from the pics but still worth getting a bigger one.

There is a group buy on ATM well worth looking at Ratter gets good prices.

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/90801-another-processwest-group-buy/#entry1553936

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

I'll be fixing it as soon as physically possible so it's only temporary. I plan to make it faster than an F6 so I reckon it's worthy of the bumper

Set your goals a bit higher, mate, haha

Just a tune in an FG XR6T will make it faster than a FG F6 :)

• Expert
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 1d

that's not a major prang check out Bionics prang from a week ago page 2 post 78 now that's Major.

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/90558-sydney-to-royal-national-park-to-robertson-pie-shop/page-2

A good tune and you'll be f#%k me plus a ute good luck more major prangs will come.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 2d

OP your ute reminds me of someone's post on the other forum....turned his front end into FGX spec (and since ute is same) it basically looks like a new car.

But that's only if you actually like the FGX (which many on here seem to hate). Although I can see the FGX new parts being a bit pricey?

I have also thought about doing the F6 body kit (sedan)....and also wanted to know the quality of fleabay kits. I personally think they might not be perfect and perhaps the body shop will have to do some 'tweaking'. If you do go this route, update the thread and see whether the panel shop had any issues with it :P

My original plan was to buy genuine front and rear bars, then fleabay skirts (seem to never see the skirts on second hand market). But that can take months/years sometimes (especially to find stuff in your own state)...plus you get a lot of jokers trying to get $1500-2k for genuine (even if its like 4k+ new).

Good luck either way and PICS when its done ;)

Edited by PTR_NITRO_FG

Rained out of work this avo. Teardown reveals one busted pipe section, lower 2 intercooler mounts are broken and its a little dinted but still mounts firm. It managed to hit what I think is the heater or ac too but there's no leaks so should also be fine.

Back of the fog light housing is broken too.

Panel beater said I'd be better off finding a used one than the labour required to beat out the bonnet.

A dude I know at the local wrecker is currently doing the ring around for f6 bumpers, he will get back to me this avo with his findings. The disadvantages of fibreglass on a ute & the extra prep work on a cheap fibreglass job has been explained to me so I hope a used plastic one pops up.

New lights are pretty easy to get off ebay

I'm thinking I'll take up that Pw intercooler group buy. Just have to duct tape up this pipe or something In the meantime. I'll c if I can ghetto rig something from Supercheap or the hardware store. Might get that battery relocation & race air box while I'm there if there's funds once I fix up the damage.

Claim on insurance... lol my excess is a whopping 2500$ to keep my annuals down

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk