Weird Turbo Noise

04LTRB

• Member For: 11y 5m 24d

When I first drive my car in the morning turbo spools up an makes a really weird noise similar to a grinding noise at first I thought it was a big exhaust leak but then once I drive it for awhile the spooling noise seems to go away an sounds normal again

What could the problem be I'm thinking of putting an inline oil filter to the turbo an c if anything changes its got me stumped

All the bolts from turbo tomanifold are tight

All the bolts from manifold to block are tight

I looked an notice there's a bracket that goes from dumpipe to block it's missing the bolt at the dumpipe end could this be an issue at all

Any help much appreciated

Cheers Michael

• Member For: 14y 4m

I had what maybe sounds like a similar noise (thought a heat shield might have been loose, bit of a noise a 1600-1750 rpm), gradually got worse, stupid forkin standard turbo line filter/screen was starting to clog up, ended getting way noisy and needed a new turbo core in the end (the turbo was gradually being starved of oil). Preventative maintenance is always better.

Edited by hrick

• Member For: 10y 8m 7d

Pop the front turbo hose off. Put your finger on the nut holding the front wheel. Try and lift the wheel up and down or try and push it back. If it moves more than half a mm youll have done a bearing.

Its a quick check and free.

The odd noise you hear is prob the fact your thrust bearing is rooted.

The oil filter screen is a common prob in Subarus too. Removing them and adding a larger braided line is the best long term solution but if you are hearing noises now it might be too late, especially if its combined with excessive wheel movement on your check. Check for fin damage or wear. Also signs that the bearings are wearing and the fins some times wear on the compressor housing, normally associated with high pitch squealing from the turbo on full torque.

I speak from experience. A very costly experience :)

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 2m 3d

The oil filter screen is a common prob in Subarus too.

So it's not only ford who fit an inline filter screen to the turbo oil supply line?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 21d

If it moves more than half a mm youll have done a bearing.

I thought it was ok to move a little bit? All the adverts for used turbos must be wrong... I.e. when people say "slight movement" or "minimal" movement