Ute Traction... Options?

Evil XR6T

• Member For: 17y 10m 1d

am not aware of any bolt in options,

that set up would not have much adjustment range for IC which is what is the main affect in getting a four link to work

I'm far from an expert but if you wanted to go drag racing that would probably be one of the best set ups you could go, a heim joint would be best but no engineer will pass them for street duties, so a while ago Mcdonald bros was offering a nolathane type joint which some engineers were passing, it offers a lot of adjustment for the ic but to get it to work the best would mean quite a bit of setting up, which is what a lot of people don't do so do not get the best out of it

• Member For: 14y 7m 21d

Yeah ok,

Im after all around set up, the ute will be 80% road drive I think.....

06 model 40,000 kms lol

So maybe the performance suspension maybe the best option for me, or mono leaf and cals.

The height you need for the cals is the only factor I don't like.

Trav

I don't think the mono leaf and caltrac would be ideal for road handling either, that set up is more for drags as well. I have no experience with that 4 link, it may be an improvement for road handling as the weight of the leaf springs is removed performance will depend on the arm locations and quality of the shocks

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 8m 27d

Hey evilXR, can I ask a silly question? How much power do you expect to run?

I recently had my ute tuned and I was bouncing ideas around re the same thing (bags, 4/5 link, anti tramp etc etc) but the grip on offer is actually pretty reasonable

Personally I think it's a bit of a myth about" ute traction" iirc, the b series's with a tub are pretty much bang on what a sedan weighs at the back. In straight line acceleration, a beam axle like in a ute should hook up not too bad, as long as the leafs aren't bouncing around

• Like 1

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 6m 12d

Cheers for the replies guys !!! I been working too much so I haven't been able to check up on the convo.

My motor is good for 500kw's safely, not sure if I'll push much past that. I'm happy with 410kw atm, but if the stock zf blows, I'll get a tough rebuild and good for the full 500kw. The more I drive it, the better performance I'm getting out of it. I think with some super sticky tyres and something to help the leafs from twisting and I'll be ok. I looked at the Mac bros setup, but can't justify the money just yet. A lot of it is coming down to throttle control.