Putting Some Muscle In The Family Bus.

Scootty

• Member For: 9y 5m 24d

It's time to put a bit of extra muscle into the family bus/06TT, 7seat, all regularly used on the weekend sport runs. I have been reading through the forums have been inspired. I have debunged and plan injectors, flash tune. I'm after some guidance.

1: Turbo oil feed line filter kit. Which kit to use? Speedflow or Earls/ GJ drivelines? Or other?

2: Where to purchase injectors from? eBay?

3: Flash tune, how does this work? I believe it is a reprogram of the CPU, is it plug and play or does it require tuning skills? Is it something I buy and take to a workshop to install or is it something I purchase at the workshop as part of a tune?

4: A recommendation for a reputable and good workshop/tuner on the south side/bayside of BrisVegas if possible.

Being a bit of an old fart, I'm a little out of the loop with the new technologies and this is also my first turbo vehicle. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have played with these blocks back in the day, slotted in Cortinas and then in a little front engine dragster. Managed to drag a respectable flat 13sec, carbureted, out of a TC and a 9.8, injected, out of the dragster with the same engine, so I knew they made some grunt. However the numbers I've been reading about in the forums has been leaving me gob smacked.

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 25d

Welcome :)

Get the answer to question 4 right then chat with them about the other 3 queries.

Can't help with tuners near where you are - am sure someone else can.

I would be confirming (someone here could help) if the better exhaust flow from debunging can cause issues without a tune.

Pretty soon you'll be carting the kids round in a 12sec bus ;)

(sorry for short reply, am typing with mouse from bed)

Edited by Rab

• Member For: 10y 4m 30d

Coz some people still like to have a filter, that's easily cleaned at every oil change. First thing I do is pull mine apart, chuck it in some petrol, dry it well with the compressor and reinstall when finished changing oil.

• Member For: 9y 5m

Mate take it from me.... DONT DO IT!!! lol.. Mine started with exactly what you want and $20k later Im still not happy lol... In all honesty dont make the same mistake I have and start your project without doing a compression test first. 185psi+ and you're ok. Debung exhaust is an easy enough job and will do you for around 400HP at all 4 wheels provided.. here is where it gets fun.

1# you need valve springs cheapest way to go about it is ebay just basic Performance Springs will do the job around $250 You need a specialized tool $500 or you may be able to hire one it may be easier to buy springs from your desired tuner as he may loan you the tool. That is the head on valve spring way pulling head off will cost you over $300 in head gaskets and head bolts.

2# Is you need a front mount IC. Plazmaman make them as a kit cost is around $2500 or you can find an ic with dimensions no wider than 450mm wide and 300mm to 400mm in height and you can run up to 100mm thick and purchase a pick it yourself alloy/silicon plumbing kit from ebay again for $150ish

3# 1000KPM injectors will get you around 400HP on 98 or around 500HP on E85 provided you also install an intank Walbro fuel pump.

4# you need an Xcal4 which is what your desired tuner will use to tune your original ECU cost of dyno tune and xcal is around $2000

5# an 11 blade front wheel and a flapper mod (ported waste gate) for a turbo and you you must get at least a 3.5" dump pipe I suggest dont get one from ebay and you dont need stainless cost around $750ish drive in drive out. Cost of Turbo mod is maximum $1500 IF your CHRA is cooked and needs replacing.

6# sad part is once this is all done you may twist/break your input shaft on your beloved over engineered piss weak ZF 6 speed.. Cost to hold together $8000....

Or just debung exhaust run a cold air intake they are about $400 from plazmaman or ill sell you mine cheap and get a dyno. <which is what I should of fkn done. Im sure there are many other ways of doing this but this is the most common

Q1, Why buy a kit, just remove the filter from the banjo bolt so it can't block.

that's what some1 done on my 06TTG and the line itself overheats at the turbo end and blocks up with burnt oil.

• Like 1

• Member For: 10y 4m 30d

Haha glad my edit timed out coz grego had covered it all. Aim for 300ish awkw and leave it. As grego said drive line is going to get very expensive beyond that point

• Like 1

I forgot to add... The front and rear diff bushes as well as other components are cheap to buy but a nightmare to do it yourself. Even for skilled backyard mechanics. Get an inspection report from a reputable suspension place.. I strongly suggest not to go to Pedders for their $28 report because I and at least 1 other Territory owner I know of got bad advice. Cost is minimum $1500 to $3000 for drive in drive out and you only need to do it once. Nolathane Urathane recycled condoms anything but what Ford has fitted will be better and completly change the way these buses handle. Seems even @ 40,000km these bushes seem to let go. I have Plazmaman valve springs 1000kpm injectors Walbro intank fuel pump a FMIC (no plumbing) but fits and performance nicely Plazmaman cold air intake K&N filter some still new some done less than a 1000km which I can sell you cheap if your intrested just PM me. (dunno if Im allowed advertise here but sh*t have I spent some money with donating sponsors on here)

• Like 1