Photo Essay - Handbrake Cable & Adjustment

PhilMeUp

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 3d

After my car got some brake stuff done recently...they did the hand brake cable adjustment.

I notice now that when you pull it up and let go of the foot brake, the whole car slants to the left?

Does that mean they overtightened the left side or something...cause never used to happen before

• Member For: 15y 8m 12d

Your handbrake shoes are either undersized or incorrectly adjusted

The handbrake shoes are roughly half worn.

In the future, whenever I've got the rear discs off I'll also remove the handbrake shoes and see how much gap there is between them and the insides of the disc rotors.

I bought new handbrake shoes the day after replacing the cable ($43 for Bendix BS3217 shoes from Covs in Welshpool). AMCAP (Ford distributor) only had one of the dust boots in stock, so I'll order a pair and replace the dust boots and handbrake shoes later.

That car is up to 495,000km now. There's also the possibility that there's a bit of stretch in the front handbrake cable.

I'm still getting lots of excessive whining noises... really irritating whining sounds. However, I've traced those whining sounds to the day driver, who keeps whinging every day that the seat covers need cleaning. Stuff him, I spent two nights last week sorting out the handbrake and cleaning the centre console/replacing the gear lever light (including his coffee mess) - http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/89018-photo-essay-centre-console-disassembly/#entry1549396

• 4 years later...
  • Member For: 4y 5m 8d

Hi guys,

My first post on this forum - the googleweb found @PhilMeUp's post when trying to troubleshoot a handbrake issue on my BA Falcon Wagon.

@PhilMeUp - thanks for such a fabulous write up - really appreciated.

To the community,

The plastic housing on the cable sheath end on the driver's side near the rear wheel has failed on my BA wagon, and there's enough play in the splitter so that the passenger side handbrake shoes don't engage either...so I have no handbrake currently.

From Phil's photos it seems that my broken plastic sheath end is captive and unable to be removed for replacement - so I'm going to have to replace the whole rear cable assembly 😰...which would be fine, but Ford have said they don't stock the cable anymore 😬

I've done a bunch of interweb searching for a new rear handbrake cable BA2A604D with no luck so far.

Any clues on where to source a new rear handbrake cable BA2A604D? 

It's looking like sourcing one from the wreckers is my only option, but the plastic bits will be the same age - so I'm a bit wary.

Any suggestions?

cheers

Mike

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Member For: 5y 6m 24d

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I have a question about the step in the manual regarding adjusting the handbrake:

"(b) Pulls the equaliser to the rear of the vehicle."

Using this picture as reference - thanks :)

Does this instruction mean pulling back on the silver section towards the rear of the car, pulling on the handbrake cable going to the handbrake lever? Or does it mean pulling the silver part forward which would pull on the handbrake shoes and slackening the handbrake lever?

Cheers!
Hunt

Handbrake_Cable_Adjustment_30_15_6_2015.webp

206-05 Parking Brake and Actuation.pdf