Bonnet/headlight Protectors - Waste Of Time?

Guest Xr6Tas

Guest Xr6Tas
  • Guests

What do you guys think of the chunky plastic bonnet protectors? Personally I think they're damn ugly, and defeat their very purpose. What’s the point of protecting your bonnet from chips if it has to look crap from having a hunk of plastic fixed to it?

Still my dealer is pushing the whole bonnet protector and headlight protector idea, so I thought I'd get some opinions from the only place that counts.

What do you guys think? Waste of money?

And while we’re on the topic, are mud spats worthwhile?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JESMAL
  • Guests

I've got a thin strip of protective masking film on my bonnet and it sure does protect against chips (which I used to have heaps before). As for mud splats, if you can find one that fits your vehicle, go for it! Mine doesn't have one that fits and that's why I've got to settle for cracked spoiler bits around the hweel arch. OW!

• Bored Member
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 5m 5d

JESMAL where'd you have it done and how much if you dont mind me askin.

Contact Detail's would be good.

As for the bonnet protector's there just a leaf catching potential rust spot IMHO, the front of the XR's is a huge area that's going to be chipped to buggery so what's the point of having a thin bit of plastic to try and deflect a stone here and there.

The headlight protector's are a good idea if a touch expensive for a couple of bit's of shaped plastic.

• I see red
  • Member For: 21y 4m 2d

Not a big fan of bonnet or headlamp protectors myself but I live in the city, country might be a different story. Car Bras, apart from looking ugly are such a hassle to fit and take off that with my old car I gave up and put up with the stone chips. The problem also with the bonnet protectors are you really need to pull them off and wash behind them (and get rid of leaves & other crap) every time you wash the car. Also after a while they go all brittle and cloudy. The dealer is pushing them because they want to make more money out of you of course!

Guest XR6T LISA
  • Guests

I have never been a fan at all of the bonnet protector, I think it's really ugly, I'll just cop my stone chips.

But, as for the headlight protectors, I have them and love em! The front of the XR is real fat looking and the headlight protectors make it look just that little bit fatter giving it real evil look. None of you may agree with me, but it's my opinion.

I tell you what another good idea is, the slimline visors that go on the driver and passenger windows. Unreal! :thumbsup:

• Member For: 21y 5m 8d
My XR6T is a country car, so all that protection is necessary. I would rather have clear plastic protection than a car-bra.

Ditto, following trucks on country roads makes for lots of crap shot at the front of my car. I actually lost a headlight to a stone on my AUxr6 before I got a protection pack. Haven't got around to mudspats or anything for my XR6T yet. Would love to know more about this thin plastic adhesive though.

• I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 30d
What do you guys think of the chunky plastic bonnet protectors? Personally I think they're damn ugly, and defeat their very purpose. What’s the point of protecting your bonnet from chips if it has to look crap from having a hunk of plastic fixed to it?

Still my dealer is pushing the whole bonnet protector and headlight protector idea, so I thought I'd get some opinions from the only place that counts.

What do you guys think? Waste of money?

And while we’re on the topic, are mud spats worthwhile?

Never seen the point in having these protectors. I'd rather put up with maybe a few small paint chips (although I haven't had one of those in living memory) than the massive (relatively speaking) plastic do-hickey on the front. And hey, just like people, cars get old too - a few chips shows good character :unsure: Save your money and put it towards the premium sound system :thumbsup:

Guest nfhotston
  • Guests

From country area, had protection package thrown in but took the bonnect protector off. Noticed it rubbing on the inside of the bonnect and had only 38kms on the clock. The Carbra issue is a personal preferance, for $341 it worth it to me. On a previous car I hit a roo at about 110km/hr and the bra stopped the roo from going in the air dam. Repairer suggested it saved the radiator and lots of air dam work. The hassle of putting on and taking off, well the new one for my XR6T takes me 25sec to put on and less than 10 to take.

• Brendan Dennis
  • Member For: 21y 6m 4d

Guys,

I do big K's on my AUII and will also in the BA.

I have got the headlight, bonnet protectors and mud spats. If I can save 1 or 2 stone chips then I will do everything I can.

Just a hint thought. If you wnat to save yourself a few bucks go to the spare parts department and purchase them from there and fir them yourself. Same as the tow bar. If you get all options as I mentioned above you will save yourself $100 approx. I purchased them from spare parts (my sales guy thought they were the same price) and I will give the pre delivery guys the bag of bits so they can fit as part of the prep for the car..