Rear Diff Upgrade/options?

tommo224

• Member For: 8y 11m 13d

Trutrac

So, if my diff goes, all I need to do is purchase this and get it fitted, and I'm good to go? (let's ignore diff bushings for the purpose of this question, as they would get done too, or may have been upgraded by previous owner)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EATON-TRUE-TRAC-M86-BA-BF-FG-FORD-FALCON-XR6-TURBO-DETROIT-TRUTRAC-DIFF-LSD-/200912172575

• Like 1

just an FYI, all 6 speed auto diff's are identical - 2.73 ratio LSD (except G6 models, some are not LSD). You don't need to go out of your way to source a FPV specific diff replacement.

That's great, thank you for that!

• Like 1

I ended up purchasing a M86 TrueTrack today, and booked in to CMS to get the rear diff bushings and diff swapped out :)

Turns out the horrible noises and whining I was getting, was actually from the front wheel bearings! Took lots of me trying to work out where it was coming from, however, only a couple of minutes from someone who knows what to look for to figure out =P

I should have gone to a pro to check it out sooner! But it's hard when you work full time and such.

• Member For: 15y 9m 2d

Turns out the horrible noises and whining I was getting, was actually from the front wheel bearings! Took lots of me trying to work out where it was coming from, however, only a couple of minutes from someone who knows what to look for to figure out =P

Sounds like you probably had the workshop do the job, but if not:

Front bearing hubs are quick and easy to replace.

Photo guide: http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/89016-photo-essay-babf-front-bearing-hub-replacement

You'll need a 36mm socket to undo the nut.

I use a torque wrench (because I've got it) but basically just do the nut back up really, really tight.

There are aftermarket choices, but they tend to not last very long. Do a search for the Ford part number on eBay (ie AU22B663A) and you'll find them cheap enough.

• Like 1

Thanks Phil! $100 each online, pretty decent :) actually doesnt look too difficult, I could probably actually have done it myself. I just don't have the confidence :(

It is daunting thinking of doing such things myself. Give me a computer and I can design you things, hand me a camera and I'll capture things for you. But hand me a spanner and I will look at you dazed. Haha. My mates are pretty good at these things, and I happily will hand them cash for helping out!

Ford did it for me for $360 fitted (both fronts), and did it right away. Solved my problem and allowed me to get back to the office! I could have saved some cash by doing it myself or my mates, but I felt I needed it solved ASAP :(

Edited by tommo224

• 2 years later...
  • Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 25d

What if all you are good at is thread mining?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 7y 7m 14d
On 5/29/2015 at 4:56 PM, tommo224 said:

I ended up purchasing a M86 TrueTrack today, and booked in to CMS to get the rear diff bushings and diff swapped out :)

Turns out the horrible noises and whining I was getting, was actually from the front wheel bearings!

Hey mate so did you end up getting the diff changed anyway / as well or didn't go through with it? If you did did you notice any benefits? What kinda dollars did it end up costing you?