2007 Fpv Tornado Ute - Tinkering & Setup

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 4d

We know, we just don't have them in WA!

• Like 1

• Member For: 15y 8m 12d

Not that I've ever bothered putting over a pit. First time I've heard of the 5 gas test. Plus, I personally wouldn't buy anything that the owner wouldn't agree to rwc themselves. I know cops in my area don't give you any hassle unless you give them much of a reason to

This has been part of the learning curve for this particular project. Modify the exhaust in any way and the car is required to have an emissions test (ie 5-gas test).

Start talking with workshops about how they get cars through inspections and the "5-gas test" phrase comes up again and again.

I was naively hoping that there was some clever way of getting through the 5-gas test (eg using E85) but in reality the only cost-effective solution is to put a completely standard exhaust back on just for the inspection.

Bugger.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 2d

That's one of the main reasons I wouldn't buy a modified car from other states...at least you're lucky and can do a lot of the removal/swapping for OEM parts yourself.

Hate to imagine how much extra it would cost someone like me :P

Hope you sort through it soon enough Phil! Then we can see if you're a mad drifter on a future cruise ;) lol

Tuesday, 18th August, 2015

A member of the XR6Turbo.com forum, FiftyOne (Dave), sent me a message last week to say that he would be in Perth for a few days on holiday. He came by my place and we got talking about the usual car stuff.

I know a fair bit about general BF Falcon stuff but I know very little about turbocharger setups.

I am the Mr Bean of the turbocharging world. Absolutely clueless.

So, when Dave mentioned about the boost solenoid I didn’t waste any time paying attention. I’d read about it, knew that it needed some sort of maintenance, but didn’t even know where it is.

Within seconds the Tornado was in the carport with the bonnet up. I wasn’t going to waste any time learning something new.

The boost solenoid is the grey coloured thing in the middle of the photo, with the black cable in front of it.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_01_18_8_2015.jpg

It’s attached to the engine bay with a bracket. We removed the bolt so that we could move the solenoid and remove the two rubber tubes that connect to it.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_02_18_8_2015.jpg

We sprayed WD40 lubricant into each tube.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_03_18_8_2015.jpg

Dave mentioned to be careful with one of the tubes - there’s a risk of breaking off the plastic mount. However, each rubber tube slid off quite easily.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_04_18_8_2015.jpg

Me, putting the boost solenoid back in place.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_05_18_8_2015.jpg

The car has been way down on power for the last few weeks. Dave noticed that one of the pipes had come loose.

After a couple of seconds of thought, and despite having an early flight back home, Dave suicidally offered to help me remove the bumper and reconnect the pipe. That offer was accepted before he even finished the sentence.

The bumper was removed within minutes. After spending so many hours late at night on my own in the carport trying to fix things and come up with solutions, it was one hell of a novelty to have someone help out for once. This was actually fun.

You can see how the black tube has come off the bottom of the metal pipe. For the last couple of weeks my thoughts have been on how to get this car through a licencing inspection, so hadn’t looked particularly hard through the engine bay.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_06_18_8_2015.jpg

As we peeled the bumper back we could see that the tube had come completely off the pipe.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_07_18_8_2015.jpg

We tried getting the tube back on without completely removing the bumper. No chance, that headlight was in the way.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_08_18_8_2015.jpg

The front bumper was then removed. You can see the pod air filter on the left, below the headlight. I don’t like that location because of its vulnerability to water (eg puddles). But there isn’t any space left in the engine bay because of the various piping and full-size battery. I’m not keen on relocating the battery into either the cabin or the rear tray.

Fitting a small Odyssy battery is an option, but an expensive one. I also like the idea of having a normal battery available to use in one of my taxis if required at night or on a weekend.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_09_18_8_2015.jpg

The headlight was also removed and slid forward so that we could access the pipe.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_10_18_8_2015.jpg

The tube was eventually put back in place, and the hose clamp was put on reasonably tight to prevent it from coming loose again.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_11_18_8_2015.jpg

Then there was the challenge of getting the headlight back in again. The problem is with the parking light mount - it pokes out below the headlight, but there isn’t room for it because of the tube.

After a few failed attempts at forcing it all into place, it was obvious that it wasn’t going to fit. And I didn’t want to risk not getting the car through an inspection because of a non-functioning parking light.

However, there wasn’t any other option. The mount was left out of the headlight and zip-tied to another cable in the area. Some day I’ll go to an auto-electrician and see if there is a shorter mounting that can replace this one.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_12_18_8_2015.jpg

With the tube and pipe in place, we could start the reassembly process.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_13_18_8_2015.jpg

We noticed a bolt missing behind the intercooler. I put a generic bolt in.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_14_18_8_2015.jpg

Time to get the headlight back into place - not an easy task.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_15_18_8_2015.jpg

You can see in this photo how there isn’t enough room to fit the tube between the headlight and car body.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_16_18_8_2015.jpg

There was a bit of wrestling involved, but eventually the headlight was forced back into place. The tube and pipe were now as they’re meant to be.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_17_18_8_2015.jpg

Because of the upward pressure from underneath the headlight, it didn’t quite align properly with the fender mudguard panel. Tough luck.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_18_18_8_2015.jpg

Putting the bumper back on.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_19_18_8_2015.jpg

Dave putting the screws back in on one of the mudguard splashguards.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_20_18_8_2015.jpg

Getting there… just got to put the splashguard back on underneath the bumper.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_21_18_8_2015.jpg

I was rapt to see the car back in one piece. I had been assuming that the recent lack of power was going to need a $1,000 dyno tune.

By now it was almost 1am, and time for a late night test drive. The car was warmed up and diagnostic codes reset.

Sure enough, the Tornado was making the power that it should be, along with plenty of wheelspin in the lower gears. This thing really gets up and flies.

After spending the last few weeks trying to learn about registration requirements and what it’s going to take to get it through an inspection, my interest in this car had decreased a lot. Not after tonight - my enthusiasm for it is back. When that turbo kicks in, particularly at 3,000rpm, all hell breaks loose. Absolutely nothing like my previous (standard) Tornado. Wow.

Massive thanks to Dave for his help tonight. Even if I had have spotted the problem with the loose pipe, I wouldn’t have known about the problem with the parking light mount simply not being able to fit back in place. I would have spent hours cursing in rage if I had have tried this task on my own. Instead, it was a pleasant night of teamwork, concluded with some… test driving… to confirm that our efforts had successful in getting the car to run how it should.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_22_18_8_2015.jpg

• Like 2

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

gotta make tjhe most of those times when somebody else is around to help you work on the car :) legendary :spoton:

pics of "test driving" ?

pics of "test driving" ?

Nup, no pics of the test drive.

I know where the speed cameras are in the area. We kept away from them.

Thus, no pics. And I still have a livelihood.

:yeahyeah::yeahyeah::yeahyeah::yeahyeah::yeahyeah::yeahyeah: