Cruise Not Activating

sd1800

• Member For: 13y 3m 12d

I have noticed an intermittent issue with the Cruise not activating / "setting", and I was hoping you helpful people could help me brainstorm it. Basically, what are the main things that would stop you setting it?

Steering Wheel Buttons - The fact that you can set it with either the + or - buttons normally, but when it is playing up neither of these buttons are working make me think the buttons are fine. Furthermore, the cruise on/off switch and the voice sync button still work fine.

Brake Light Switch - I don't think it is this, because when it is playing up the brake lights are still working.

Gearbox Reverse Switch - reverse lights and camera still activate when put into reverse gear which tells me this is fine.

Clutch Switch - when you push the switch underneath the pedal in and out, you can still here a switch click underneath the gear boot / shifter. This tells me the switch itself underneath the pedal is working fine.

Gearbox Switch - Not sure about this one. What is the clutch pedal switch wired to in the gearbox and how would I test this? Is it the reverse switch, or something completely different?

Any other ideas other than what I've posted above? Thanks in advance.

Right - just done some more research, and it seems what I can hear clicking underneath the gear boot when the clutch switch is opened/closed is the reverse lockout on the gearbox. However the clutch switch must still be wired to something else though - as when you depress the clutch it is designed to disable cruise....

• Too heavy needs boost
  • Member For: 10y 8m 18d

Mine has done it a few times under light acceleration I have pushed res on the cruise control and it accelerated quickly for one second the turned off and wouldn't work again until the car was turned off. Its Weird how it does it. Its happened about 5 times now.

Try discounting the battery for 10 mins and reconnect it and see if that works maybe?

• Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 2m 24d

Brake Light Switch - I don't think it is this, because when it is playing up the brake lights are still working.

The brake pedal has two switches, one is for brake lights, one is for cruise. So even though the brake lights are working, doesn't mean the cruise switch is fully operational.

have you changed tail light bulbs with led ones ? that will do it ,happened to me

Nope, haven't touched them since I bought the car. The car was previously a Lease Company Car so I doubt the previous owner did it. They look pretty standard to me.

Mine has done it a few times under light acceleration I have pushed res on the cruise control and it accelerated quickly for one second the turned off and wouldn't work again until the car was turned off. Its Weird how it does it. Its happened about 5 times now.

Try discounting the battery for 10 mins and reconnect it and see if that works maybe?

I'll reset the battery and give it a go.

The brake pedal has two switches, one is for brake lights, one is for cruise. So even though the brake lights are working, doesn't mean the cruise switch is fully operational.

Thanks. I'll have another look, but when I got under there last time, I'm sure there was only one brake switch I could find....

Edit: Here is a phone of a FG Pedal Box, and I can only see the one switch which I found & which I have circled? Is there another? :s

fg%20pedal%20box_zpsvobwcb1a.jpg

Edited by sd1800

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 4m 25d

I am sure someone will tune in soon and answer your question, but I had issues with cruise control being turned on.

So when you press the cruise button, you normally have it light up on the dash. you then press the + or - symbol to set the speed.

Well mine will not light up on the dash when pressing the cruise button. It would simply flash a few times and disappear.

when you first start the car and start to drive, you have to press the brake pedal at least once, before you can activate the cruise feature, otherwise it will just flash at you.

Apparently this is a safety design by ford????????

So I had a chance to have abit more of a fiddle with it this afternoon and time to do some process of elimination. I still haven't resolved it though.

Firstly, I disconnected the battery for a few hours and it didn't change anything. Also, I can now confirm that the issue is totally intermittent, and that the problem is resolved (intermittently) by restarting the car, where cruise will work again for a varying period of time, but after a while refuse to set again.

From this - I am thinking that maybe there is an occasional short circuit in the steering wheel switches, and when the cruise module detects this it refuses to accept any commands or set any cruise for safety reasons (you wouldn't want it to set cruise due to a short without user input!!!). I happened to find a thread from another forum which tells me it very well may be something similar to this.....

Have seen many a Late model camira and falcon with these issues. AFAIK the controls are resistance based.. Well they were on pervious models anyway. Different buttons provide different resistance values. Poor connections at the switch, bad clock spring etc. can all play a part as any resistance in a connector etc. will change the signal received and cause the track change on volume up etc.

Is this viable or am I way off? Any other ideas?

Appreciate everyone's assistance here by the way. All adds to future insight for other members! :)

My old ba had a stretched hand brake and it would register the hand brake and turn off the cruise control.

If this was the case though, the handbrake light would flash up on the dash would it not? In my case, this definitely isn't happening. I know if you lift the handbrake while moving the FG dash lights up like a christmas tree too, which isn't happening. Thanks for the idea anyway!

when you first start the car and start to drive, you have to press the brake pedal at least once, before you can activate the cruise feature, otherwise it will just flash at you.

Apparently this is a safety design by ford????????

Yep, I've heard of this. Maybe it's so the Cruise system can confirm that the brake switch is definitely working for safety reasons....?

Edited by sd1800