Car Cranks But Takes Long Time To Start

boost69

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 10m 10d

Guys,

I have noticed my BF has trouble firing up when you start it up in the morning.

Yesterday it had to crank for a while, before it finally fired up.

After the first start for the day, it starts normally all day after that.

The cranking doesn't sound drained, so im assuming the batery has juice, but im not sure where to start in relation to diagnosing the problem.

Are hard starts usually a fuel pressure problem...I.e old and fatigued fuel pump?...(which might explain why my car was pinging when it was stock)...

Or should I be looking at timing issues, such as skipped teeth etc...

Any suggestions are appreciated.

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 7m 28d

Any noticeable difference if you turn it 'On' and leave it for a bit before actually jumping to starting it? (By a bit I only mean like 5-10 seconds max)

• Donating Members

Hmmm...I can't recall wether I let the pump prime for a couple of seconds before I started it.

I will keep note next time I start it in the morning.

Also one of the times it was just kicking over and not starting, it actually backfired...(this was before I changed the catalytic converter...not sure if this makes any difference)

• Donating Members

The thing is I'm reluctant to take it back to the same tuner, as everyones opinion on here was that he should have solved my pinging problem prior to custom tuning the car.

I would have to agree with this, but from what I know, taking it to another tuner means they have to start a new tune from fresh...(which I guess I'm going to have to bight the bullet on this one).

I'm just not sure on who take it to in Sydney, though since im going to get another tune I have also purchased those ID1000s injectors, and was also contemplating wether to upgrade the fuel pump at the same time...(unless you guys think its not needed)

To be honest I also don't know what seperates an average tuner from a good tuner.

I want a tune that provides good part throttle boost response and not just WOT response.

We had a BA XR6T previosuly which was making around the 350RWK mark, but unless you gave it a boot full it was quiet lazy down low in every day conditions...(the car delivered its power like an on off switch...it was either all or nothing...which I suppose is good for the strip but not very useful for every day driving)

Edited by boost69