Ticking Noise Very Loud..

jas98

• Member For: 11y 8m 5d

Ba xr6t stock.

At startup massive ticking sound at startup. If idle for a while comes good but can still faintly hear it every now and then especially when accelerating lightly. I only started noticing this noise loudly after I accelerated quickly and as it was boosting (6 psi) there was a pop sound like a backfire from engine area....could be completely unrelated though. Also seems to be running slightly thirstier. But allot of things could be causeing that.

I'm thinking exhaust manifold gasket. I'm hoping it's not the timing chain guide f*cked......

Any ideas? I'll get a recording of it when I start it up cold again although does do it when warm startup but not as bad

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 7m 23d

Check your idle pulley - it's a common issue for BA's around now - bearings wear out and make a ticking noise. Had mine changed out about 1 1/2 yrs ago.

• Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 1m 26d

Id bet my bot bot its exhaust manifold related - either bolts from manifold to head are loose or gone altogether, or turbo to manifold bolts are loose or gone altogher too.

Remove the manifold, get it machined perfectly flat, buy some Inconnel bolts, a new exhaust manifold gasket, and never worry about it again.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. I'm goofing it's exhaust gasket too. Will rip off heat shields and have a look.

Forgot to get a recording thismorning but started it up with bonnet up and f*ck it's really loud. Gradually Came quiet after about 3 min then when lightly roving it I herd it for about. Second.

Anyway the noise is coming from the front part of the

Manifold closest to power steering pump. Also can smell exhaust fuels. Hopefully it's the type of gasket I used a couple year ago not sure. Worst case timming chain? Or would timming chain do it all the time?

Will keep updated

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 21d

The bit about a backfire is what concerns me - we've heard similar stories before that resulted in more terminal bottom end issues. This is usually with modified cars though.

Get those heatshields off asap to confirm manifold issues but in the mean time I'd stay off the boost.

Yeah had a ex mechanic from work look. He said straight away manifold leak so I'll have to confirm it.

Bidets is fat? Similar but not the same. My noise is more of a tap tap popping sound that sound sounds like a timing chain?? Or belt tensioner f*cked?

• Too heavy needs boost
  • Member For: 10y 7m 22d

Yea that's what I thought when mine was making it. Spary some inox into or around the plastic bit on the belt tensioner. It might be dry. I did this and the noise was gone. $5 a can and could piss the noise off. But without a video with noise its a needle in a hay stack.