Starter Motor Problem

sonny628

• Member For: 13y 7m 5d

Hi guys, so last night after work I hopped in my car to start it, on first go all I got was a ticking noise from the starter motor. I gave it another shot and the car started no worries, I simply thought that maybe the starter had a but of a fit. This morning I hopped in the car and again, no problems, this afternoon after work however I hopped in and again all I get is ticking from the starter, the thing will not turn over....I tested my battery with a multimeter and the battery (optima yellowtop) was sitting at 12.5v so I put it down to the starter motor having just sh*t itself. Went and bought a new starter motor and changed it (in the parking lot of a town center). I thought for sure it would have sorted it...but no I keep getting a ticking noise. I have checked all fuses relating to the starter, the relays, changed the battery just in case, prodded around the engine bay for something possibly loose but I can't find anything. I am at a loss and my car is just sitting there in a paid parking lot...anyone have any clue where to look next or what could be the problem.

• Like 1

• Member For: 11y 24d

Bad earth, dirty terminals, rusted/corroded connectors.

Turn your ignition on and short the terminals of the starter yourself with a screwdriver. Should start if all is well from battery to starter.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m

Assuming battery has the voltage, then it would definitly be a connection problem...check not only battery terminal clamps, but also connections to the starter motor...

From my experience with a ticking starter it has always been the battery...and I use the Optima Yellow tops too...they do have a tendency to stop working all of a sudden with no tell tale signs...I think it's due to the deep cycle characterisitcs of the battery...(don't quote me on this though...just my experience with the yellow tops).

If your problem is intermitent, then it could be a connection problem...sometimes it makes proper contact, other times it doesn't, so double check every connection...

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 8m 14d

Prolly organise a tow back to your place or mechanics garage if not done already. Might as well secure your car before something gets vandalized.

Maybe under load the battery can't source enough current? I once swapped in a supposedly new battery into my BA and it still wouldn't start. I suspect the new battery had been on shelf long time.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • Member For: 12y 6m 14d

Hi guys, so last night after work I hopped in my car to start it, on first go all I got was a ticking noise from the starter motor. I gave it another shot and the car started no worries, I simply thought that maybe the starter had a but of a fit. This morning I hopped in the car and again, no problems, this afternoon after work however I hopped in and again all I get is ticking from the starter, the thing will not turn over....I tested my battery with a multimeter and the battery (optima yellowtop) was sitting at 12.5v so I put it down to the starter motor having just sh*t itself. Went and bought a new starter motor and changed it (in the parking lot of a town center). I thought for sure it would have sorted it...but no I keep getting a ticking noise. I have checked all fuses relating to the starter, the relays, changed the battery just in case, prodded around the engine bay for something possibly loose but I can't find anything. I am at a loss and my car is just sitting there in a paid parking lot...anyone have any clue where to look next or what could be the problem.

sonny628 did you have any progress on this I understand it was a while ago but mine is doing the same thing

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

Test battery at auto electrician or just a battery place if that's more convenient. 95% of the time it's the battery, other 5% is corroded terminals :) .