This Just Annoys Me

Mac0892

• Member For: 11y 6m 4d

Hey guys, got a small issue I was wondering if anyone had come across at all. (BF Mk2 Turbo)

basically, have had a small scraping noise from RHF wheel for a while, heard easier at higher speed or with car on hoist and spinning the wheel. even spinning the rotor and hub with the wheel off you can hear a slight scrape.

At first, thought it may have been brake related, so checked over all the brakes and metal to metal contact points, nothing so far.

wheel bearing has no movement. ball joints and steering rack / tie rods are sound.

can drive the car for day to weeks at a time and you don't notice at all. then on the odd occasion, there is a large scraping / groaning noise from the RHF, but goes away after 10-15 seconds and wont re-appear for a while.

I've tried to replicate several times on the same road, same speed etc.

its there going up hills, along flats, smooth surfaces, you name it.

very intermittent noise, and hard to describe it.

anyone come across anything similar? almost at the point of burning it to the ground

bit of extra info of setup - 19" wheels over the PBR upgraded brakes with DBA T3 rotors and a set of bendix ultimates

thanks,

Mac

front right though. didnt think handbrake shoes would be related. do need to re-adjust it at some stage. comes up a little high for my liking

I checked the wheel bearings maybe a month ago and they were all good. s'pose there is no harm in replacing the hub assembly to rule it out.

going for a long drive later on so hopefully it will happen again

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 14d

Drive slowly with the windows down through a new estate with bulk housing or industrial area with big concrete building to hear the reverb. You might get a better idea of what it is then?

Small rock stuck somewhere?

• Member For: 15y 9m 1d

The part number for the front bearing hub is AU22B663A - do a search for it on eBay for the best price.

There are various aftermarket options. The really cheap ones are known for not lasting long. The Ford ones are regarded as lasting the longest.

Easy to replace - photo guide: http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/89016-photo-essay-babf-front-bearing-hub-replacement

Edited by PhilMeUp

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 10m 30d

That sounds like your DSC is cutting in...if it feels like a vibration from the front left wheel...that's intermittent as you're driving...if your DSC is playing up it can trigger the ABS to go off on a certain wheel, as it assumes a correction is needed to stabilise the car...this can feel like a grinding vibration coming from the effected wheel

This assuming its nothing else more obvious

Though after re reading your post I'm not so sure now...

Edited by boost69