The Golf Thread

.Stripes.

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 1m 6d

Went and played 9 holes with Mick (GeGe6) this morning at Collier Park. Although my score was only 3 shots better than my previous game I felt like I was playing much better golf today. Was a few chips that I farked that really hurt my score. At least there wasn't lawn mowers/other assorted machinery everywhere this morning. Was happy with some of the drives I hit today too, got onto 1 or 2 or them especially well.

• Like 1

• loitering with intent
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 8m

I know this is a semi pro thread , but here's Buf's Golf post.

Started my Golf career in high school towing the buggy behind the

pushie down to the local course (unforgiving Ashgrove ) when not playing cricket.

Balls scavenged along the way and excess sold to the pro shop to cover green fees

Clubs consisted of Slazenger Ben Hogan blades, a menagerie of woods and some

strange square handled putter. Used to hit low 90s on most courses with the antiques

Until I retired in 2000 after cracking a ton in pouring rain at Palmdale on the GC.

Playing maybe once a year at this stage.

That said the only time I came out of retirement in 2003 I was on a study tour. Had been on the syrup for several days

at Sun City in RSA and like most staggered on to the bus for a corporate Golf day in Cape Town. Early wake up , several

missed the bus. hahahaha

So armed with a hire kit esky and cart went out for 18 holes.

Was expecting a cricket score. 88 off the stick legit.

Not even a ball struck in 3 years prior

Could not believe the difference better gear makes, the sweet spots were huge.

It did make me think that with a decent set of clubs, practice , and time on the course

I could have been competitive with a proper handicap.

Family and career intervened. Over a decade since I've swung a club , except at cane toads.

Maybe another time and place. Need to hit a few buckets first

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • I <3 Floods
  • Member For: 12y 8m 19d

Got out this arvie for 9 holes. Lady luck was on my side because for the first 8 holes even my mish*ts finished well. Held the bloke I was playing with to ransom on every hole (friendly beer per hole wager). 2 birdies on par 3's and 1 birdie on a par 4. Worst hole was a bogey.

Until the last hole and he said 'double or nothing'.

I took 7 shots to get on the green (including a penalty for losing a ball). Only 1 putt though.

He got par (4) so I got no beers.

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Member For: 12y 1m 6d

Haha, was meant in good humour bud. I really do need to get some lessons at some point, haven't had any since I first played back in school...probably have some rather nasty habits these days. I've started the trend again though, need to keep playing AT LEAST once per break.

• I <3 Floods
  • Member For: 12y 8m 19d

Lessons helped me in a big way. Especially with over gripping the club.. Always felt I need to strangle the club to hit the ball further. Still feels stupid when I grip the club correctly but the quality of the hit is definitely noticeable.

As long as I remember to swing the club and let the club hit the ball, snap my left arm straight before I connect the ball, keep my head down, rotate my shoulders first and lower body second on the back swing and drink a few beers, I tend to do okay at golf