Vic Alpine Cruise Mar 2015

EvilDaifu

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 8m 14d

VIC Alpine Cruise Mar 2015

zcp33WG.jpg

Well - it's that time of year again :w00t2:

Updates will be posted in this first post and the itineray may change over time as necessary - so please check back regularly on this first post

DATES: Sat 21 Mar - Sun 22 Mar 2015

DESCRIPTION:
This 2 day weekend cruise that takes in the VIC Alpine peaks of Bogong, Falls Creek and the new sealed section between Mitta Mitta and Omeo - staying Sat night in historical Omeo with their big big steaks. All up about 1000km.

Day 1 will mostly be easy highway cruising to Wodonga for a quality Bealzey's BBQ lunch by the Hume Weir then onto Mitta Mitta and over the newly sealed road into Omeo (one of the best in Oz in my opinion). Spend the night at the Golden Age Hotel (rated 4.5 out of 5 on TripAdvisor) and indulge in delish country tucker.

Day 2 is hearty country breakfast as part of your board then early start off towards Falls Creek where we do a brief history stop over at Wallace's Hut then snake along the Alpine Way road into Falls Creek with the azzure Sunny Valley reservoir next to us. Then off to Bright for lunch then homeward bound!

Please be aware there are some incredible twisties on this route - so best let any passengers know of potential motion sickness.

Also, please ensure you have a contigency plan if you have a breakdown - like a mate who is willing to stay with you and/or give you lift home if necessary and/or RACV Roadside Assistance. And it might be a good thing not to have anything important to do on Monday justin case you need that extra day to get home for some reason.

DURATION: 2 Days - Sat and Sun. As a courtesy to your fellow cruisers, please have a full tank at your first meet points. This is a long cruise - and it should go without saying that you can join/leave at anytime.

MEET:
Depart around 8am BP 1015 Hume Highway, Wallan VIC (please note new departure time)
hwuc1Oc.png

Meet at Hume Weir jetty in Ebden for BBQ Lunch (meet somewhere between 11:30am and 12pm)
BBQ Lunch (optional) catered for drink Coke or water, plain beef burger and 2 snags $7 per person. Bring a folding chair to sit on.

1jru8si.png

ACCOMODATION:
You are welcome to stay anywhere in Omeo but I've proposed the Golden Age Hotel for night of Sat 21 Mar. Stayed there before and it's good. Please book directly with the motel below if you would like to stay there.

Golden Age Hotel
190 Day Ave, Omeo
Phone: 03 5159 1344

Twin ensuite balcony $140.00 I.e. $70 per person twin share.
Single ensuite balcony $105.00
Downstairs Single ensuite $99.00
Budget Single shared bathroom (these are really tiny rooms) $50.00

All prices above include hearty country breakfast.

Dinner is planned to be held in the Golden Age pub downstairs around 7pm - their steaks are famous!

Another accomodation motel is the Colonial Motel just up the road in Omeo - if you can't get a place at the Golden Age Hotel :thumbsup:

Phj 03 5159 1388 or email omeocolonial@gmail.com

FUEL:
A fair bit of fuel will be required for the drive during the 2 days. Please ensure you are topped at the meet points and have enough fuel to complete the legs (so best to fuel up when others do).

I also recommend carrying a jerry can with maybe 5-10 litres of your fave fuel - the leg from Wodonga to Mt Beauty (via Omeo) has no 98 RON and on my edit had a range of 55km left in my tank when I arrived in Bright after doing that leg. If you don't want to do that - I'll have a jerry can with about 9 litres of 98 RON justin case!

Wallan (Meet Point - fill up here - prices similar to Melbourne for 98 RON)
BP Ultimate 98 RON

Glenrowan (only if you need to do so - noticed some Ford Focus XR5s had ummm fuel usage issues on one trip :nono: )
BP Ultimate 98 RON

Wodonga (BBQ Lunch hereabouts - fill up here)
Caltex - 89 Mitchell Drive, Wodonga - Vortex 98 RON

Mt Beauty (fill up here only if you need to - prices were $1.60 per litre on the long weekend)
Caltex Vortex 98 RON

Bright (fill up here if you can make it this far on 1 tank from Wodonga - less expensive than Mt Beauty)

BP Ultimate 98 RON
Caltex Vortex 98 RON

Omeo
Only has PULP 95 RON and it was empty when I checked on the long weekend - so best not to count on filling up in Omeo.
Suggest bringing a can of fuel to top up to get you to at least Mt Beauty or Bright if you don't want 95 RON justin case.

Mansfield
BP Ultimate 98 RON

There no E85 enroute that I'm aware of.

BRING:
Strongly recommended (almost mandatory due to lack of mobilephone coverage in VIC Alpine National Park), UHF 40 channel CB Radio to keep across road hazards and general chatter. EvilDaifu has a few CBs for free loan on the cruise if anyone is interested - just PM EvilDaifu to reserve one.

Optional GPS so you know where you are, where you been and how to get where you wanna go.

Jerry can of fuel - maybe 5-10 litres (I'll be bringing some extra 98 RON for emergencies).

Camera for the photo opps and the views.

Don't forget to bring extra batteries for your CB and camera - something makes me think we'd be chewing through the batteries on this cruise!

Sunnies

Warm clothes - though it's March, it's still an alpine region.

3M clear contact tape (from auto stores) for your bonnet lips and maybe fog lights to protect against stone chips and cracks if desired.

If you have an edit - maybe your XCAL flash boxes incase you need it - don't laugh I've used mine several times on previous cruises *cough* engine overheating *cough*

Spare car keys :runaway:

RULES:
1. Obey all laws whilst on the cruise; this means no speeding, no overtaking over double lines (no matter how safe you think it may be), etc...

2. There is a designated lead car who will lead the way and set the correct pace for all cruise members.

3. Use the Buddy system - always make sure you can see the car infront and behind you. This will give people behind you an indication on where to turn to make sure nobody gets lost.

4. CB Radios - if you don't have one, follow the maps and directions given out. It is highly recommended to have CB as it enhances the enjoyment of the cruise being able to hear about road hazards and join in on the general *cough* banter *cough*

5. Please turn up to the meeting points with a sufficient fuel in your tank and enough time before the departure time.

6. Onus is on the owner/driver to ensure their vehicle is safe to drive on public roads and meets State road traffic authority compliance laws.

7. Please ensure you have a contingency plan if you have a breakdown or unnecessarily delayed. e.g. Roadside Assistance or a mate in another car who is willing to stay with you/drive you home if necessary.

8. By attending this cruise you agree not to hold FordXR6Turbo.com, it's Administrators, Moderators, Cruise Controllers, or Owner responsible / liable for any damage and / or grief sustained (simply; you are responsible for your own actions).

EMERGENCY NUMBERS

Accidents & Emergencies - Ambulance, Police, Fire ph 000 (try 112 on mobile if 000 not available)
Health services
Omeo District Health ph 5159 0100
Omeo Medical Centre ph 03 5159 0140
Swifts Creek Bush Nurse ph 03 5159 4210
Ensay Community Health ph 03 5157 3215
Bairnsdale Regional Health ph 03 5150 3333
Poisons Information Centre ph 13 11 26
Police
Emergency 000
Omeo Police Station ph 03 5159 1222
Swifts Creek Police Station ph 03 5159 4333
Fire
Emergency & CFA VIC 000
Forest Fire (Dept of Sustain & Environ) ph 03 5159 5100
Bush Fire (Dept of Sustain & Environ) ph 03 5159 5150
Info & Restrictions ph 1800 240 667
Water
East Gippsland Water Emergencies ph 1800 057 057
East Gippsland Water Flood and Storm ph 13 25 00
State Emergency Services (SES)
SES General Enquiries ph 03 5153 1322
Power Failure (true Energy TXU) ph 13 34 66
Environment Protection Authority ph 03 5176 1744
VIC Roads
Report Road Hazard ph 13 11 70
Information ph 13 11 71
VIC Wildlife Emergency ph 1300 094 535
RACV Roadside Assistance ph 13 72 28
Towing
Omeo 24 Hour Towing - Rick Gardam ph 03 5159 1571 or mobile 0428 505 434
Tow Trucks
Alpine Towing & Auto Repairs
38 Churchill Ave, Bright VIC 3741
ph: 0419 155 702
Bright Automotive & Towing Pty Ltd
44 Churchill Ave, Bright VIC 3741 - get directions
ph: (03) 5755 2149
Bright RACV
ph: (03) 5750 1230
Cobbers Towing Service
1 Toner Ave, Myrtleford VIC 3737 - get directions
ph: (03) 5751 1666
Mount Beauty Auto Repairs
229 Kiewa Valley Hwy, Tawonga South VIC 3698 - get directions
ph: (03) 5754 1366
RACV - Bright Depot
44 Churchill Ave, Bright VIC 3741 - get directions
ph: (03) 5750 1230
iqhQ9jS.jpg

CRUISE LIST:
1. EvilDaifu & k31th (car hopping)
2. Rab & son
3. _Velocity_ & bro
4. demon1300 & bro-in-law (meet us in Wodonga)

5. Wilko16

MAYBE:

So post up below if you're coming or would like to come - it's a good way to meet your fellow FordXR6Turbo.com enthusiasts and enjoy the rush of rumbling through in a line of XRs :drivingalong:

Edited by EvilDaifu
Added Colonial Motel details as alt accommodation
  • Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 30d

This sounds awesome, would love to go on a big cruise like this

put me down for a maybe at this stage, will have to confirm with the missus...

Very well written and organised

Well done

Edited by Wilko16
  • Like 1

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 26d

Will be a definite (unless something unforeseen and major comes up in the mean-time - calendar is clear and am putting it in right now)

• Like 1

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 8m 14d

Thanks for that. I may take a day off sometime soon and check it out for myself. By the looks of it on Google maps - it looks fantastic. I remember doing it once on the way home from the Snowy's cruise one year I think - back then the unsealed sections were okay but I wouldn't be taking a group of cars down it unsealed as there would be plenty of stone's being flicked up (wouldn't worry me - my bonnet is stone chip county :roflmbo: )

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 4m 30d

Put me down as a maybe, if I can get a couple of things in the car fixed by then K13th and I will be coming.

• Like 2