Just About To Order Mine....

puffnstuff

• Member For: 21y 5m 19d

I thought that too !!! what with all the other goss spinning around the newsgroups about delays and parts availability, I'm hugely sceptical. I expect the big red 'X' on the kitchen calender will migrate eastwards slowly. Patience is a virtue they tell me.

Manual. To be really honest - it would be a bugger to live with. Drives fine, its just hard work. Clutch has high take-up which I don't like. Maybe this can be tweaked. And the on-off throttle is overtly snatchy without clutch intervention to ensure smooth progress. I'm sure owners would adapt and I call myself an above average driver with mechanical sympathies.

I've owned a couple of turbos (Kawasaki 750T - F'kin awesome bike) and a nissan EXA manual. I like the idea of letting the torque build and then stay there without being unterrupted by a gear change. Not into flat changing myself. Like I said - I 'feel' for my cars.

hope that helps. Its the auto for me.

• SLOJAM, Gone but not forgotten
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 6m 9d

Doesn't matter how many times I see this car, I still LOVE the look

:D :D :rolleyes::huh:

Guest DZ.
  • Guests
Manual. To be really honest - it would be a bugger to live with. Drives fine, its just hard work. Clutch has high take-up which I don't like. Maybe this can be tweaked. And the on-off throttle is overtly snatchy without clutch intervention to ensure smooth progress. I'm sure owners would adapt and I call myself an above average driver with mechanical sympathies.

I've owned a couple of turbos (Kawasaki 750T - F'kin awesome bike) and a nissan EXA manual. I like the idea of letting the torque build and then stay there without being unterrupted by a gear change. Not into flat changing myself. Like I said - I 'feel' for my cars.

hope that helps. Its the auto for me.

Never really noticed the off boost side of things when changing gears in the 200SX. I've had a couple of course where I thought the clutch and gearbox was a real pain but got use to quite quickly.

Everyone else seems to be getting autos so maybe I'll get the manual just to be different - might fetch a higher resale later down the track because they'll be so rare! :D

That's an awesome pic - now if I could just see one like that in the Phantom colour!

Good comment. Its not so much the off boost, its the urge-silence-snick-clutch-urge power delivery of a manual I have trouble with.

I tend to think its easier on the drive train if the car is doing a urge-urge-urge type of gear change with no discerable interruption in engine gas pressures.

I've yet to try the SSS version in the XR. I drove a 183 fairmont the day they were released and quite liked it.

cheers

Guest DZ.
  • Guests
Good comment. Its not so much the off boost, its the urge-silence-snick-clutch-urge power delivery of a manual I have trouble with.

That's the bit that I enjoy! :D

:lol:

And me... but when your about to royally ream the goon in the SS next to you, every element of mechanical confidence needs to be behind you. Things like reliable launch, (read... no bog, stall, red face :rolleyes: ), followed by a resounding spanking of the GM botty count for me.

For lazing around the local main roads and doo be dooing to the local shops, sure a manual is the ticket, but ...

B)

Guest DZ.
  • Guests

Ah, I see your point. But I do enjoy the challenge of mastering the car - I've just found auto boxes take the "driving" element out of it for me so I think I'll be sticking with the manual. With a bit of practice I'm sure I can become one with the car :rolleyes:

• Firm Member
  • Donating Members

Agree with you DZ.

Nothing can compare to a manual for me. Our current Ford has tiptronic on the steering wheel, and for a short while it satisfied me. But after a while l got bored with the car and hankered after a manual. Our XR6T is a manual, in a couple of weeks l'll be able to let you know all about it!!! Due 16th Nov at the moment.