Fit Bit Stuff

Mrs Jeturbo

• www.australianflag.org.au
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 2d

For my mind whatever you purchase should do the following.

Bluetooth to Heart Rate Monitor (be aware there are protocols so not all HRM will talk to all equipment).

Bluetooth to headsets and play music.

Have GPS to map track your activities.

Talk easily to the most common fitness apps.

Tapariik is a good program.

Sleep monitoring is a bit of a wank but interesting none the less.

Make no mistake this technology is emerging quickly and there is a war brewing.

So do your research as everyone is releasing equipment that only talks to their apps which is silly but it's economics.

• Bob the Freaking Builder
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 7m 6d

Kimberley ... I am not interested in Gps particularly coz I gym

Keeping that in mind would u recxomens the Vivofit

I was doing some reading and it seems the vivo fit does things like alert to calls and texts and u can read the txts on ha phone.

You can switch to sleep mode via the device, it syncs with calorie counting aps.

The ap also allows u to share progress wih others with the device, stripes you should get one and we can compare and compete :P

• Donating Members

Ok need opinions,

The new Fitbit charge is coming out, exactly the same as the old charge but with a hr monitor, the Acuracy has been questioned... I can get it when it's released in a month for $178

Or

The Vivofit smart which has a lot more features like notifications, vibrating to remind u to move and get motivated etc. looks a lot nicer tbh... But doesn't have the heart rate monitor, but you can buy the chest strap monitor with it or seperate and it syncs and is more accurate ... I can get just the band for $166 or the band and hr for $199

Which would u pick????

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 1m 6d

Hmmm, I like the idea of the inbuilt HR monitor. The whole being able to check calls, texts etc really doesn't phase me all that much. I can happily be disconnected for an hour a day if I was running or gyming or something. Although at the same time it's nice to have those features.

The idea of being able to share, compare and compete with others is kinda cool though, would be good for motivation...hmmm

• Donating Members

Kimberley ... I am not interested in Gps particularly coz I gym

Keeping that in mind would u recxomens the Vivofit

I was doing some reading and it seems the vivo fit does things like alert to calls and texts and u can read the txts on ha phone.

You can switch to sleep mode via the device, it syncs with calorie counting aps.

The ap also allows u to share progress wih others with the device, stripes you should get one and we can compare and compete :P

My daughter bought me a vivofit and HRM for Xmas.

It's ok. You need the HRM connected to start an activity and then need to edit activity when your done to say what that activity was. The reason I like GPS is when I walk or run I get an accurate distance elevation and average pace. Unlike steps multiplied by pace distance.

Garmin is having a hell of allot of trouble at the moment. Not sure if it's server related as reported with all the new users over Xmas. Or competitors sabotage. But when it's works it's great. When it doesn't it's boring.

Garmin uses Ant plus Bluetooth which is a touch old but works well.

Hope that helps.

• Donating Members

Another thing to consider is that the vivosmart is water proof to 50m and the Fitbit is only splash proof and they don't recxomend wearing it in the shower etc. so u can't wear it swimming and will have to take it off for showers and maybe even hand washes etc.

Also the display is a lot smaller on the Fitbit. But the device itself is a lot wider and has an actual buckle.

Also there have been reports as to the accuracy of the heart rate monitor on the fit bit because it has the pulse sensor quite unshielded from the light and that effects the heart beat.

Also the difference are u have to log into the ap and sync the data from the Vivofit but the Fitbit is live (but there's a massive lag on it even though it says it's live)

• Donating Members

My daughter bought me a vivofit and HRM for Xmas.

It's ok. You need the HRM connected to start an activity and then need to edit activity when your done to say what that activity was. The reason I like GPS is when I walk or run I get an accurate distance elevation and average pace. Unlike steps multiplied by pace distance.

Garmin is having a hell of allot of trouble at the moment. Not sure if it's server related as reported with all the new users over Xmas. Or competitors sabotage. But when it's works it's great. When it doesn't it's boring.

Garmin uses Ant plus Bluetooth which is a touch old but works well.

Hope that helps.

Thank Kim,

I think the new Vivofit is only Bluetooth and wifi or something like that. It's a fair amount difference, if it had a built in hrm then it wouldn't be a question but it doesn't so I'm tossing up :(

• Donating Members

Whatever you get. Start using it and with some discipline but more importantly consistency. You will achieve your goals.

May need to start a fitness thread.

• Like 1