Transmission Choice Ba Xr6 Turbo

pumpngo

• miso xr6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 3m 20d

Ok your going to laugh when I tell you this, my car consumes 35litres per 100klms, that's with cams an e85 usage.

As for roll cage, I don't have one yet, I just go to the track an race, when I fill that my 60ft was good that's when I keep on the pedal an run my 9s an get kicked off right after lol.

But I am putting one in the car soon, sick of getting kicked of.

\

From what I here an have been told, you can have a 4 point half gage engineered, an you can have the rest bolt on and you will be able to run in to the 8 second bracket, an that's with bolt in gage.

• in the mid....not the bum like some
  • Member For: 10y 11m 6d

Its not true that all converters with no lock up slip at cruise...just not true at all.

Had them myself many times and cars with a trans temp gauge also which showed no abnormal heat being introduced into the picture.

Also if possible run AN8 trans cooler lines from the trans and get rid of the metal 3/8 ones.

SETRAB or B&M Supercooler with ratings of 25,000BTU plus is what you want.

• Member For: 9y 3m 15d

I ask you to prove me wrong with science please, not just feel , It's hard to feel 10% slip at light throttle but it's there, unless you have a lock up converter.

That was why I asked the mpg question.

If your high hp engine is an efficient turbo version running in vacuum at cruise speed and tuned well it should get the same fuel consumption as a bog std one.(given cams std)

If the drivetrain is std, or is only robbing the same power as the std one they should be comparable.

Tuners do run rich tunes under boost, but a good tune should be at factory mixture and maybe a bit more spark, so equal or better to std mpg on light cruise throttle just sitting on 100 kmh.

I'm under no misconception the c4 will be near as efficient as the 4 speed and lock up, I'm just trying to quantify how much worse it will be .

Just a thought to explain my line of thinking, It might clear up what I'm talking about as I don't want to offend anyone .

All my information is from research not first hand information and that is why I'm asking questions,

The transmission is one of the bigger costs on my car so I want to get it right first time if possible.

From what I understand, a std torque converter will have aprox 10% slip . That actually makes sence to me, as in a car with lock up converter at 100 kph will drop the rpm 200-300 rpm when it locks staying at the same speed.

High stalls are said to be between the 10% and up to 30% , the higher stall you go the more slip.

Also if using a bigger diameter converter to stall high rpm, there is a point where the blades have to angle backwards on the driving blade so it can slip to the higher rpm and that is where you should go to the smaller diameter converter with forward facing blades to gain some efficiency back.

I have been doing a heap of homework on all this and I'm still no expert , far from it.

So I'm not wanting to come accross as an ass, Everything I say is up for debate , not a statement of fact.

I apoligise in advance if anything I say is inflamitory.

• Like 1

• Member For: 9y 10m 27d

As you have already discovered Torque converters are quite complex in the way they operate with all sorts of variables.

I'm no expert either but what I will say is there was a time when there was no such thing as a lockup converter, so don't get too hung up on that.

I have run hi- stalls in the past and have found that although being in top gear and cruising below the converters stall, there was very little if no slip.

But again there are so many variables in play every application is different.

You maybe asking to much especially towing with a hi-stall but having said that I think you'll be Ok with a 2500rpm stall provided your not towing crazy loads.

When it comes to gearbox choice I notice that a lot of the fast turbo street/drag cars run Glides.

My 9" is 3.7 ratio. so without changing that I'll probably be at 2600rpm at 100 kph with 275-40-17 tyres.

So 2600 rpm stall should be fine according to both the trans guy and my searching for info.

I agree with you about the information on converters , it's probably all the variables, hp ,tq ,diameter all have effects it seems .

But the biggest factor of weather it's tight or loose seems up to internal design and on that you just have to trust the trans guy.

I do listen to everyone including the trans guy , but like to go home and confirm the logic and text book science behind it, after all what is google for.

We live in the age of information, I'm an old guy and the information available to us today astonishes me. When I was young you had to trust and blindly accept knowledge from people like transmission guys, it was concidered a black art and they protected their knowledge by telling you how complicated things are , you wouldn't understand.

We no longer have to accept that bull ,if we don't want to and are willing to dig deep enough.

• Like 1