Transmission Choice Ba Xr6 Turbo

pumpngo

• Member For: 9y 4m 9d

Hi , I need a new transmission for my ba.

I have been searching the web for a week and found 2 options I like. Having been a manual guy, I have no experience with stall etc so would like some first hand info.

The first option as a t700 ls box that can be adapted and converted to full manual and 800hp capable but about $5500 delivered. I'm not sure they are as proven as the old c4 but they are 4 speed and have lock up converters.

The c4 is proven at 1000hp at price of $3550 with converter. Full manual.

The c4 seems a much better deal to me but I don't know how much better fuel consumption I would get with the 700.

I have talked to the c4 builder and he recomends 2600 rpm stall as I tow with this car and he says with a big cooler it will be fine, I would like opinions and experiences with towing with a higher stall.

Car will be starting at 600hp atw but don't know where it will end , so looking at a tough box.

• in the mid....not the bum like some
  • Member For: 11y

Stay well away from RVO....you have been warned.

If the C4 for under 4k is the one off Ebay stay away also.

Contact Prestons and they ill sort you out with a tough 4 speed for about 4k with decent converter....these are a 9 second proven BTR holding big power reliably.

You can have the lock up removed or strengthened either way Prestons are damn good at building a very strong 4 speed.

Edited by Skids4kids

Thanks , I'll look them up.

MattKay is the guy I've been talking to about the c4, he sounds like he knows his stuff and has 100% positive feedback. I know you have to watch out on ebay but I have sent and recieved many emails he seems the real deal . It's not like the old c4 is rocket science,

Still sounds like prestons might be the go for that price , would be good to keep 4 gears and lock up;

Anyone with experience towing with higher than std stall converter?

http://www.prestonautomaticsanddifferentials.com.au/home/?page_id=41

I checked Prestons and the beefed btr is only rated to 280kw , and then they use the c10

I see in your sig you use one, so am I looking in the wrong place?

If I'm right a full weight ba would only do 12.5 or so at 280kw so the test car at 9 sec must be lightened .

I quite possibly got my figures all wrong so happy to be corrected.

I'm shooting them an email , so see what they say.

I spoke to them over the phone price was $3000 box$600 converter , didn't sound bad but after talking for a while he started making excuses for it blowing up . Said people blowing them were burnout guys,not that I am a burnout guy myself but I know guys that regularly pop tyres with c4's.

He seemed to think some shaft to do with overdrive might brake and then said ," but they are an easy fix" .He also recomends towing in 3rd. Even if what brakes is an easy fix, I'm not looking to tow the car back pull the box and freight both ways to fx it.

All in all I think it might do the job , but I'm not filled with confidence.

• miso xr6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 4m 14d

A th400, powerglide , or c4 package will cost you about 10 thousand dollars easy.

Don't forget about accessories for the box like shifter, cables etc an then a custom tailshaft, it all adds up.

A well build btr 4speed sould cost under 5 grand, I have one in mine, I am pushing 560rwkw an ran it down the track a heap of times and never had a problem.

Certainly tougher than I thought , Don't suppose you do any towing ?

Have been told you have to tow in 3rd or the overdrive brakes and there is no way to strengthen that part of the box, and prestons say they have problems with people doing burnouts.

just concerns me if they have problems with burnouts that's possibly a heat issue and I might have same towing , yes I do have a fan cooled 32 row cooler.

Edited by pumpngo