Zf 6Spd Tune Is It Worth It

Jason87

• Member For: 11y 7m 29d

Ok so I have a fg 313kw I'm happy with the power but not the shifting I loved the way my old ba shifted so firm an power skidded through the gears with ease have many of use got the zf tune an what's your opinions on it... Any advice would be good

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 9m 26d

I have not been in many ZF equipped turbo cars.

-My standard G6ET.

-A short ride in a forum members modified G6ET (without gearbox tune)

-A short ride in a mates F6E which was modified including gearbox tune.

My impressions are:

The ZF is a fantastic auto gearbox.

And

The tuning of the gearbox in the F6E made it even better again. Shifts were very firm, fast and smooth in the F6E under fast acceleration and seemed as normal (ie very good) driving normally.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 28d

If I had a Turbo with a ZF it would definitely be tuned. Makes a major difference to the speed of the shifts.

Edited by arronm

• I'm getten too old for this s**t
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 17d

I have to give a huuuuge +1 for a ZF tune but you have to make sure that your tuna knows what he's doing (either SCT or HP)

It's fine to 'firm up' the shifts and set shift points for your needs but go too far and it may do damage to the trans apparently.....as well as give you whiplash.

I've heard it said that firming up the shifts can actually help the ZF last a bit longer when you have heaps of power/torque.

My 1-2 shift is a bit firm for me with just normal driving but 2-3 & 3-4 are supurb. Even though it shifts-grabs the next gear immediately, you just can't feel it...it is so smooth still.

I downloaded a video that Biz did when he fitted the GTX..76 and compared his standard ZF WOT 2-3 change to a video I did when I installed the muffler delete.

Biz looses a bit of kph on the shift as it slips and slides its way into the next gear where as my tuned ZF grabs the next gear (spins the friggen wheels a bit) and the kph just continues to rise.

Again .. I must stress, make sure your tuna knows what he's doing.

Let's see if I can hash tag it properly

#tunedzf4lyf

^^ Is that right?

• Like 1

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 7m 1d

I've put together what I would consider a minor tune for my ZF basically have tweaked the shift pressures slightly, adjusted the shift points and adjusted the 2nd to 1st downshift to avoid the annoying random downshifts when exiting round a bouts etc.

I couldn't have the car on the stock zf tune now.

• Like 6