Oil Catch Can, Rc Breather Or Pcv Line?

***VX*R8***

• Member For: 10y 6m 9d

I've bought an oil catch can (non vented) for my g6et and want to know if I should be fitting it to the rocker cover breather or PCV line?

I'm trying to stop oil from getting into the cooler pipes,intake manifold and TB etc.

Thankyou :)

• Member For: 10y 5m 4d

No coz the pcv valve is like a check valve and holds boost so putting a T in it will create a leak. Should also move the valve to between the can and the manifold to prevent the can pressurising.

Pcv to manifold is the one to have a can on anyway. Most people with a can on the breather report it is always empty. If your blowing heaps of oil out the breather you got bigger problems then oil in your intake...I guess you could plumb it in before the can if you have a check valve after it but that's not how the pcv system is meant to work and all your doing there is creating a closed circuit, would kind of work when the manifold is in vacuum but still not the way it should work by emissions standards.

Edited by barnz

• Member For: 10y 6m 9d

So it'll be fine to just leave the pcv valve in the standard location and put the catch can in line between the pcv valve and the intake manifold?

And this won't have any negative effects?

I've seen people say they run a catch can off the breather and catch enough to make the catch can worthwhile. So I may even get another can to run off there but was hoping to be able to get away with one can.

I've run catch cans on ls1 and sr20 which were simple but this seems a little bit different.

• Member For: 10y 5m 4d

The check valve should really be after the can to prevent is pressurising when the manifold is not in vacuum.

The whole pcv cct is for emissions not valve lubrication...burns off crank case gases rather then venting to atmosphere. Id much rather just have filters on the breathers than this sh*t in my manifold. 1f1407fd6959a3e987f3b82ef08813a3.jpg

Everything on the other side of the throttle body is clean. So all that is crap sucked in via the pcv system.

Edited by barnz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...