T56 Csc Replacement

judgee

• Member For: 13y 5m 9d

I have recently bought a Mal Wood CSC for my BA XR6T. I live very remote and have been in talks with the local mechanic about changing it. He has never done one before and seems tentative and worried about doing the procedure, he said he has read up on it and asked a mate who has done it before and is quoting me around 5-8 hrs to remove the box. My question is from my understanding you disconnect the box from bell housing, remove or slide back box, remove CSC, reinstall new CSC, bolt box back up. Is it that simple or is there a lot more involved. He is telling me that I should be replacing my clutch while the box is out. I said well I think the previous owner has replaced with some form of heavy duty one as the clutch is very heavy and bites hard.

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

Travel to a place that knows what they are doing mate because if he fluffs it up your in expensive land all by your self

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 13y 2m 5d

I'm in the same boat and "Yes" my mechanic is going to check the old csc hasn't leaked onto the clutch. If so then I will replace the clutch but it feels fine atm like yours. If the clutch slips later on then it's another $400 labour pulling it out again so I'll live with it and I'll put a CI twin plate clutch in. Did you get the alloy piston csc with earls line or the std plastic csc from Mal. I've also heard (actually been told) I can use the alloy csc from the err... VT-VZ. $100 Cheaper. Damn Holdens lol.

• Member For: 9y 10m 26d

I've just had to replace my clutch line which involved sliding the box back a few inches.

Although I didn't have to remove it completely, it was a straight forward job and I did it with no hoist.

From what I understand about this job it is critical to slide the box back in carefully so as not to damage the clutch centre as it is a bit fragile.

Also from what I've read there is some sort of procedure for setting up the CSC which I'm not familiar with.

The fact that he is worried about doing the job is a good sign as it means he'll most probably be careful and take his time.

Like I said I've just done part of this job on my garage floor for the first time and I was a bit worried but had no issues.

If he's got a hoist then he should get it done in under 5 hours and that's if he's taking his time .

Also use Ralph's tip which involves using 4 long studs where the gearbox bolts to the bell housing. This helps take the weight of the front of the box and helps guide the box back in to position.

Pics below of guide studs

4387ccec54a526e4a37d7a7799d2d10b.jpg

67fe1bbf98101dd1fb942a4a79f9a644.jpg

4dda48948e94e7d039420eb2414bee0d.jpg

I just got some long bolts and cut the heads off them.

Honestly if he's changed gearboxes before then he should be able too get the job done, good luck, cheers.