HI PSI

• Member For: 17y 10m 4d

The car is now in even more pieces than last time. The new radiator sits a lot further back. I had to remove a lot of material form the fan shroud, so that I could get clearance from the harmonic balancer. 

I installed the radiator and fan, but need a Speedflow fitting for the new aircon hose. Work kinda stopped there. The VN build is keeping me very busy and has robbed time from the poor old girl. I'll get to it soon...

• 4 months later...
  • Member For: 17y 10m 4d

I just thought that I'd drop in and say "hi". I've been a bit busy with the SS and I haven't really done much to the car. I've installed the 52 mm radiator and deleted the header tank. And the rocker cover has been sent for chrome.. That's about it.

I had a few spare parts floating around, so I decided to put them to use. I used a FG series one block. It sonic tested the best that I have found - 0.125" was the thinnest section in any bore. The others were very meaty. We offset bored that cylinder , to help keep it as thick as possible. 

The block has also been surfaced and machined for 14.3 mm head studs.

S3OFeXV.jpg

Crank is the same as the current engine. Factory, with nitride and stress relieving. I put some ACL bearings with 360 degree thrusts. A short time later I decided to install a torrington bearing. As I'm unsure as to where or how I might use the engine, I thought it best to cover both bases. Just in case I use it with the 4l80... Same Atomic Phat rods and thick wall gudgeon pins as the last engine. The JE's have had the full coating treatment (Crown and skirt).

FrdG5nv.jpg

GNPjSQr.jpg

The mains have the regular main stud, girdle and windage tray. Atomic Heavy duty timing chain kit takes car of the timing gear, with Atomic also supplying an oil pump and lifters.

I managed to get a good deal on some parts for the head. This one will be the same spec as my current unit. Unfortunately, there is a bit of a back log on the head porting. I can't see it happening for a few months. 😞

A bit of topic,  I found out that these are the same as those used by Spiro back in the day, and I believe that Atomic also use them in their stage 5 heads. They certainly flow a lot of air...

Well, that's about it for now. The blower for the SS will be arriving while I'm away at work, So I can't see myself getting anything done on the XR and time soon. It'll be full steam ahead with it. I'll pop back when there is more progress...

uoFAcel.jpg

Edited by HI PSI
  • Like 7

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

always love your progress updates, irrelevant of how long it takes you to post 'em ;) this car is always a monster :)

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

it's really up to you if you'd like to combine them in this thread or do a separate one... but since it's not actually a SS forum, this one probably suits it enough to post details.

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d
19 hours ago, HI PSI said:

I'll pop back when there is more progress

Just pop in once a week and say hi. Take a random picture of some sh*t and give a little back story, eg: turbo pic and specs. Keeps it all going ay! :)