HI PSI

• Member For: 17y 10m 3d

Thanks for the kind words on the carbon. It's take me a bit to get my head around successfully manufacturing parts. I'm confident that I have it sorted, so I shall endeavor to make bigger, more complex parts in the near future.. It's just so beautiful and the pics don't do them justice. I'm hooked on the stuff. It's l;ikely that I'll have carbon everything soon....

Yes, the box is a magnum. which was supplied by Mal Wood. Interestingly, me engine guy walked past the box and said that the output shaft looked considerable bigger than normal, much like, if not the same as  a TH400.

Sometimes it sucks trying different things to what others use, as you run in to issues like mine.. No real difference between it and everything else I have done... I guess that I'm mellowing as I age, or just used to it occurring with frequency... Lol

9 hours ago, OZYWALKER said:

So mal slapped your box together on a Monday morning or Friday arvo then lol

The discrepancy on the gate was negligible, when using a normal H patter shifter. It was a little different to the OEM gearboxes  supplied for the Falcons, after all it is aftermarket item. I can't say that I would have anything to do with Mal...

• XR50T
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 27d

Was a pisstake, I've got one his magnums aswell.

Im thinking with the output size, magnum use "GM" shafts so a t400 being a GM box it may be similar.

• 1 month later...
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 20d

Have you got the shifter working yet?  The shifter doesn’t seem that tall and the center consol looks like it maybe in the way.  I was thinking the Bremer Shifter was too tall, but it’s actually at s height where I can rest comfortably on the consol. Got me thinking if the S1 was a little short?

• 1 month later...

Shifter is now working fine. I ended up removing the box and sending it to him. He said that the gate in then Magnum was a bit different and required the cams in the shifter to be modified. The shifter that I have now has a shorter handle that the previous one. I actually like it better, as the strain gauge made the knob a bit high for my liking.

I had the car on the hub dyno a fortnight ago. We managed 670 rwhp on 18 psi (98 Ron), with no real timing added. We had to pull up there as the dyno was having issues. We were doing full power runs and the eddy brake would intermittently come on hard, sometimes stopping the engine dead. Even made the turbo spool backwards....  I have to say that this speaks volumes for the quality of Mal Woods tailshaft and The Driveline Shop Cv's...

I took the car for a drive out to the worksop today and gave it a few squirts on the way. It now looks like I have again snapped some ARP flywheel bolts, as the clutch loss has the same characteristics as last time. Resevior is full of fluid, just won't engage the CSC properly..

So, It looks like I will remove the box, AGAIN!!! And we'll look at dowling the crank this time round..

Edited by HI PSI
  • Sad 1

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

Good luck, might not be as bad as you think. We have had issues with flywheel bolts loosening, even when doweled. Keep us updated.

OR, fractured bolt head is fouling the twin plates. that's what my issue was. 

On 08/05/2016 at 2:29 PM, HI PSI said:

I managed to get some time to work on the car yesterday, so I pulled the box out to investigate the source of the clutch problems. When I released the pressure plate and clutches something feel to the ground. I must say that I was a little surprised at what I found.

20160507_101248_zpsycvtqjsb.jpg

20160507_100949_zpscslazigx.jpg

20160507_101323_zpsz1gdw7wu.jpg

We believe that the bolts ARP bolts were thread bound on the bolt shank and had not correctly fastened the flywheel. This had caused it to fatigue and eventually fail. Luckily for me, there was only very minor  damage to the crank and flywheel. I sourced some 12.9 alley key bolts and refitted the box. Total cost of repair was about $20. 

ARP flywheel bolts.

Check out yours and mine similarity. Reverse bending fatigue with final fast fracture at the center.

k0ajAOU.jpg

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

and why are the stock bolts cheaper? just in the case that you'll be breaking them no matter which one you buy?