Timing Chain Rattle ?

genuine  honest  person

• Member For: 10y 2m 28d

when the engine is warm it sounds like there are marbles in the engine (can feel on top of rocker cover the chain hit ) can I change the chain without

having to remove the timing chain cover ,so I do not have to remove the harmonic balancer ? also want to replace the guides and chain hydraulic adjuster

.going to also change the valve springs at the same time

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 9m 27d

I have heard of someone replacing a chain on a different type of engine by connecting the new chain to the old one, then winding the engine over till the old chain was out.

Would that work for you?

Edited by xr6tForMe
  • Like 1

• Member For: 14y 7m 2d

• Member For: 10y 2m 28d

only just fitted a new harmonic balancer before I fitted the engine 3 month ago ,was originally going to fit a new chain and guides .I also used the same tool to remove the old balancer

,borrowed it of the mechanic next door . it worked great . it might be time just to build the new engine . will change the oil to a heavier grade till I fit the new engine . thanks for the help

• Too heavy needs boost
  • Member For: 10y 8m 19d

when the engine is warm it sounds like there are marbles in the engine (can feel on top of rocker cover the chain hit ) can I change the chain without

having to remove the timing chain cover ,so I do not have to remove the harmonic balancer ? also want to replace the guides and chain hydraulic adjuster

.going to also change the valve springs at the same time

mine does the same thing. can any damage or jumping a tooth possible. if so whats the average cost for someone to do the job?
  • Like 1