2006 Fpv Tornado F6 Ute - Cleanup & Resurrection

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 4d

Yeah the springs compression is a bit hairy, I have the same set of compressors that are pictured. $50 from Repco or Superchump etc...was warned strongly by a couple of prominent members here about not pointing it at your own body while it's got all that potential energy stored up, only ever work side on. Got mine done OK in the end but I can understand not being keen to shoot a hole in your own window/wall/forearm/forehead hahaha.

Wish my springs were blue instead of yellow. Feels more Ford-y :)

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 2m 11d

Why did you go XR6 springs, I thought the F6 model actually was a factory low? Did you check the king p/n between F6 and non F6.

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 5d

Phil,

The key to using that style of compressor is to set them up directly opposite each other on the spring (IE 180 apart) and extend that as has as possible before attaching.

The more coils you compress the less force will. (100mm of compression spread over 20 coils = much less "twist" per coil that spread over 5 coils.)

Set then up in your press as you had pictured tether the coil to the press with a couple of decent tie down and take your time.

• Like 1

• Member For: 10y 5m 28d

Awesome read mate ! It wil all be worth it once you have her back on the road ! A quick question for you though, I want to bleed my brakes on my typhoon and was wondering what order you do them in? Is it rear left, rear right, front left and feont right last ? And also with the brembos on the front does it matter if you do the inner or outter nipple first ? Oh and I'm stealing your idea on getting another reservoir and buying those nipples as well, great ideas !

• Member For: 15y 8m 12d

A quick question for you though, I want to bleed my brakes on my typhoon and was wondering what order you do them in? Is it rear left, rear right, front left and feont right last ? And also with the brembos on the front does it matter if you do the inner or outter nipple first ? Oh and I'm stealing your idea on getting another reservoir and buying those nipples as well, great ideas !

I've always started at the calipers the furthest from the fluid reservoir and worked my way forward. ie rear passenger, rear driver, front passenger, front driver side.

But I need to double check that - the ABS stuff is on the opposite side of the engine bay to the reservoir, so I need to check where the fresh fluid actually originates from before going into the brake lines - the ABS stuff on the left or the reservoir on the right.

With dual nipple Brembo calipers, I was flushing at the inner nipple first, so that fresh fluid was then being pushed out to the outer nipple.

I go through a fair bit of brake fluid when flushing, usually 20 pumps of the brake pedal for each nipple. I'm thorough.

Having a spare reservoir makes it quicker and easier. I bought two for $20 secondhand. It's easier to swap them over and put a clean one in before putting fresh brake fluid in. Alternatively, remove the reservoir, clean it and wait for it to dry before proceeding (easier in summer when it's hot outside). I clean them in the laundry sink with detergent and water.

• Like 1

• Member For: 10y 5m 28d

Legend thanks mate ! And that's a really good point about where the fluid is coming from....I hadn't even thought about that, hopefully it pumps through the abs unit so it gets fresh fluid through that as well....and if that is the case then I suppose it would be the opposite order....going from the abs unit would be driver rear, pass rear, driver front and lastly pass front.

• Member For: 15y 8m 12d

Why did you go XR6 springs, I thought the F6 model actually was a factory low? Did you check the king p/n between F6 and non F6.

The rear springs that I bought secondhand came from a 40,000km old, 2012 FG XR6 Turbo ute. Those springs are the same as the BA/BF springs.

I figured I'd get matching height XR6 front springs for the front.

I also need for this ute to be practical, which means not having to obsess too much about protecting the front bumper coming out of carparks, going over speed bumps, etc.

The spring parts lists showed normal height, XR6 height and lowered. The XR6 option was mid-range, and should match the height of the back end.

The car had lowered Lovells springs on the front and reset lowered leaf springs on the back. I'm going to try XR6 height and see how that goes for practicality.

Phil,

The key to using that style of compressor is to set them up directly opposite each other on the spring (IE 180 apart) and extend that as has as possible before attaching.

The more coils you compress the less force will. (100mm of compression spread over 20 coils = much less "twist" per coil that spread over 5 coils.)

Set then up in your press as you had pictured tether the coil to the press with a couple of decent tie down and take your time.

Tried and failed. It just wasn't going right last night, and there was a point where my gut feeling was to quit while I was ahead (and hadn't injured myself).

I tried getting the compressors on exact opposite sides, but whenever I tightened them up they would slide around and different sides of each compressor would grip on to the spring.

It was getting dodgy, and there was a battle of stubbornness vs common-sense.

It cost me $40 to get the springs fitted this afternoon, but I get to type this with functioning fingers on both hands. I like functioning fingers. The guy there did comment that the King Springs were longer than he expected (which explains why I was having so much trouble getting one of them compressed enough to fit on).

The spring compressors that I borrowed probably weren't big enough or heavy duty enough. They also didn't extend out enough to cover enough of the springs. All it would have taken was for something to break or slip, and I wouldn't be touching any cars for a month or two (damaged fingers). Can't afford that.

Last night was a combination of a) not having the right tools for the job (ie big enough compressors), and b) not having the experience required to do the job safely.

• Donating Members

I think if you follow the lines, the rear right are the furthest from either the ABS block or the reservoir, pretty sure the fluid goes from reservoir to ABS, then to each caliper on separate lines, but the rear right line actually follows the rear left line then goes across the rear of the car.

Ralph is reading this and might be able to correct me?

Here's a pic from the manual that seems to confirm the order of flow at least.

This is for the four channel ABS. 3 channel ABS systems are in there as well which basically have a T piece off of the rear left brake line mounting bracket riveted to the chassis that then feeds the rear right. Not sure which cars got 3 channel, maybe plain XTs? Utes as well?

BFABS.jpg

I think I did the outer nipples first on my Brembos, following the idea of furthest away to closest. Not sure it'd make much difference but could be wrong.

Edited by -Stever-

• Donating Members

Cool, I'll remember for next time :)

Could be wrong on the rear order, older posts here say Phil is also correct with doing rear passenger first? Maybe I was seeing a different line under the car and confused it with a brake line.

Oooh it was Pat that posted that as well ^^^. Rear passenger first!

Edited by -Stever-