High Flow Thermostat

VippiN

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d
6 hours ago, csd773 said:

I just checked supercheaps web page and the thermostat part number for my 2005 bf xr6 turbo was TT2000-195.

Is this one ok or should I look for the TT2000-180?

Thanks, Chris. 

Is you car stock or tuned. 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

The stock value for the low speeds fans to switch on is 212f and will switch off at 205f. No need for adjusting the fan in the tune for a thermostat change, but you might want to do that with a stock thermostat anyway to keep the low speed fans on all the time during the warmer months.

The spark correction for coolant is zero at 180f and 200f but will interpolate below or above these temp numbers from the 150f and 220f points. There is a chance that timing will be affected slightly if a 180f thermostat sits a couple of degrees cooler than 180f. This is where you might want to adjust the tune to ensure the timing cant change.

Really doesn't matter much which thermostat you use tunewise, and wouldn't be worth paying to get these parameters changed. The cooler one will give you a bit more time at WOT before it inevitably overheats.

Is there any benefit from running an alloy head at 195 vs 180 to dissipate heat from the engine quicker? That's another debate I think.

Edit: The motor wont get any cooler than the low speed fan off point regardless of which thermostat is installed, so there is no point getting a cooler thermostat unless you did change the fans to force it colder.

Edited by Puffwagon
Lol all the edits.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Untuned it won't matter and I have a strong feeling even forcing it to run cooler with the tune fixed up, it still wont make a difference unless taking it around a circuit.

Choosing which one to use is a whole lot of meh imo.

• Member For: 5y 4m 25d
20 minutes ago, arronm said:

Is you car stock or tuned.

Tuned. Bought ute 8 months ago stockish. 2005 bf xr6 turbo ute, zf 6spd. It had upgraded plazmaman piping and medium sized intercooler.

I put k&n panel in stock airbox, 4inch dump/front pipe, 3.5 cat/catback with twin 3 inch tips, flapper mod, valve springs, turbosmart actuator, 950cc injectors, 460 e85 walbro in tank pump, tuned at 13psi on 98 making 310kw at the wheels.

• Member For: 5y 4m 25d

Fitted the 180 thermostat this arvo and seems to be operating fine. Will take for a longer spirited drive in the morning. 

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

Did you check the one you removed wasn't already a 82c/180. You now need to have the tune adjusted to bring the fans on earlier. 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
8 minutes ago, k31th said:

as per my post above then. get the 180.

2 minutes ago, arronm said:

You now need to have the tune adjusted to bring the fans on earlier.

Boys you've both made statements without any reason as to why these changes should happen.

giphy.gif

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

I didn't make any reasoning behind it in my first one that said to get the 180 as I assumed he was getting one due to the question in the first place indicating that he was looking for a "high flow" one, as per this thread... get the 180 because it'll make the car behave much more like it should when it's making over 300rwkw :), e.g. the fans will come on sooner and the car will not have much heat-soak related issues. the tune can easily be modified to take this into account as it's already tuned. win/win.