Testing Coil Packs

luke187

• Member For: 10y 5m 5d

Not really, they have a lifespan and if one has failed chances are more will. Genuine are like 200 bucks a set whats the big deal? They last ages

Always best to replace things like coils, plugs ect as a set. Changed mine at 100 000k and it cured the sh*tty idle...well as good as these cars get anyway. Also economy seems to be improving, and I make no effort to drive economically...

Edited by barnz

There is no real service interval for them, some will go 50k another may do a million. The cooler they run and the less electrical resistance they encounter which includes the plug the longer they should last.

Im pretty sure its the secondary part of the coil that fails which is very difficult to test in a COP setup, its quite difficult to get an inductive probe around the lead down inside the tunnel in the head. The torque app is able to log missfire total but unfortunately not per cylinder. I was logging 50+ on a half hour drive, and I cant say even close to 50 were noticeable to me, maybe like 5. New coils and its now 0 even after long drives.

Edited by barnz

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

Good tip on the torque app. I'll see if I can remember to check mine some time.

• Member For: 10y 4m 18d

Interesting barnz, I did notice the car had gone quite flat at the top end and figured it was just me getting used to it. There was no audible sound and you couldnt feel it either so maybe there was a miss like you were getting.

Whats the adapter you guys use for torque pro and what do you do to keep the connector in and fuse block cover on? Figured you'd drop the obd2 cable out of the box or something or can you get something that straight fits?

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

I just leave the cover off but a small right angled plug on a flexible lead would be handy. Have heard of dongles that fit under it too.

• Like 1

I have just unclipped the obd port which allows it to sit back far enough to get the fuse cover on. Really any of the bluetooth obd dongles will do they are all pretty dodgy lol...some work great others not at all. Depends how good the ELM clone is.

Alternatively if you want to shell out for something with a genuine ELM chip it should guarantee you receive a perfectly working device. More often than not its the soldering in the clones that let's them down and not the clone chip. Hence they are hit and miss.

The other alternative is get an obd cable and use forscan which is better really but let flashy and not avalible for mobile devices.

Also if you intend on using torque on an iPhone you will need a wifi obd dongle

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 17y

Also

Mode $06 is a PCM and scan tool diagnostic mode that may or may not be familiar to you. This article demonstrates how data displayed in this mode can be used to pinpoint the source of an intermittent misfire on Ford vehicles

http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=1794

http://www.motor.com/magazine/pdfs/072011_09.pdf

Edited by f-wolf