Ba Xr6T Misfire/idle Issues

jwill_baturbo

• Member For: 9y 4m 23d

Hey guys, need advice.

My xr6t has a regular misfire. I have checked cool packs and they seem to be fine. Replaced spark plugs to be careful.

Also the car is sitting at a 2200 resting rpm both when it's hot and cold. When I put the clutch in to change gears or when I am powering down for traffic the revs spike to 4000rpm and do not reduce until the car has come to a complete stop.

Furthermore I can now drive around the city without using my accelerator as the idle is rising of its own accord. If I coast while in gear the revs will slowly climb and force the speed to increase.

There is a distinct fuel smell associated with the issue, causing the car to have an average fuel economy of 30l/100km

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

Josh

• Member For: 9y 4m 23d

I haven't had the time or money to get an error code check. But I am concerned that it may be a vacuum leak. There is a lot more noise in the engine bay than usual, but I am not sure if it is just because the higher rev.

Will try cleaning the t/body and hopefully that works. The car is becoming dangerous to drive, as I have to consistently brake to compensate for the idle increase

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 9m 19d

I think this might be a vacuum leak somewhere between the throttle body and the head.

I had an intake manifold gasket fail on an AU Falcon and the idle was high.

I found it by connecting a thin hose from a can of butane (for a camping stove - or a lighter refill can would do) and spraying around the manifold until the idle changed. The hose allowed the gas to be well targetted. When the gas was sucked into the engine instead of just extra air, the idle changed.

I have heard of other things than gas being used, but that seemed the best idea to me.

Look/listen for a leak and try the gas idea. Be careful to do it outside so everything is well ventilated and do not set everything on fire!

• 3 years later...
  • Member For: 6y 3m 2d

Didn’t want to make a new post because there is probably heaps out there, new to the whole xr6t game but here’s my problem. 

Put new plugs in couple of weeks ago few days later car misfiring like a *beep*, replaced all the coil packs and it seems to be only on cylinder5 that has the miss, no matter what coil I put in still on 5, did a comp test and come up with pretty good numbers, my question is does anyone know of anything that could be the problem and are the idrium plugs a waste of time and money? What’s the best plug to run as I’m thinking this could be the problem but I’m unsure!!? any help is  appreciated thanks :)

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 19d

Is the plug fouled? 

Is the plug gap ok?

Are they genuine coils?

Is the injector injectoring?

Is the coil sparking?

That's just stuff to check.

The general consensus around here is to buy gas motor plugs from ebay for $50 or so.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 7d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

BKR6EIX are great for these cars and come with the right gap for a tuned car.  If you don't want to use iridiums again, then just get them from Ford.

If you have a miss specifically on one cylinder, then it'd be worth swapping around coils and plugs to if it follows any specific hardware.

• Like 1