Clicking Noise 6Speed Auto

Terry79

• Member For: 9y 5m 3d

Hi all , I'm new to this forum, and what a great source of info, I've tried finding what I'm looking for with no success , well I just bought my new family car FG xr6 turbo, 6 speed auto, growler cold air , valve spring upgrade , 60lb injectors , shift bov , CV performance tune, kw unknown,

To the point, I've notice when driving like my grand mother , as my car goes through it's gears 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd and so on, I hear a little click type sound as it shifts in Econ mode and and perf modes , I once owned a bf fairlane for a few months with same type of box (I think) and it didn't mate this noise, and it was an ex limo/taxi lemon! This is the first turbo car I've ever owned and I guess you can say the first ford I want to keep as I'm very impressed with it, I'm not mechanically mined with fords, is this normal or could something be failing, It has dealers 3months/5000k warranty and a plan C nation warranty which I'm going to make the best off, car has 123000 ks, was upgraded when I bought it with the extras. I've added pic of car in hope someone out there may know it, and some more info on it , rego is CH11RP , chirp I think it ment to say,

post-80451-0-90325300-1416098788_thumb.j

post-80451-0-45872000-1416098812_thumb.j

post-80451-0-70919700-1416098921_thumb.j

Edited by Terry79

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 26d

I've driven about 210,000km in my ZF (BFII) and don't recall having a click at gear changes.

Where does it sound like it's coming from specifically? Get a passenger to hold their head sideways in front of the shifter and behind etc to see if they can pinpoint it, sometimes sounds can bounce around a bit and fool you.

I can't help much with what it could be as I'm not a mechanic but I'm interested in case I start to get the same thing.

Unless it's a general driveline clunk noise like worn diff bush allowing things to get loose and rattle on gear change.

Edited by -Stever-

• Member For: 9y 5m 3d

Hi Stever and gunna, we tried that Steve but the sound is more noticeable with the window down at low speeds and still noticble with the window up, but yes u can here it down around the shifter, there's no movement of the shifter and it's smack right on each gear change.

Gunna , I took that engine picture when I got home from picking the car up , it had no coolant in it at all just water, levels where fine and holding , has since had a flush and coolant added, and maintaining it's coolant level, yea the plates are cool, and speaks for the car as it dose chirp all the way to 4th, by then it's a bit full on and need to back of, I've only done this the once to see how it went, compared to my old gts and I must say , that old Expensive Daewoo has nothing on this xr6t , very happy , but it is a family car , that my wife will be driving and just wanting to make sure that the gearbox isn't looking at a malfunction of any kind. And have her broken down somewhere here out west in the middle of know where.

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 26d

Not related but inspect the cable that attaches to the side of the ZF under the car. Read the last page or so of my build thread linked from my sig for pictures...mine popped off recently. It only moves when you move the shifter between PRND though, not if in sequential or if left in D, so can't be your noise.

• 2 weeks later...