08 Fg Xr6T Ute

camo86T

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 1m 16d

Tried loading the photos again that didn't show up earlier... that work for you @k31th?

8 hours ago, camo86T said:

7rk9WF2W6Ns4x3DMCU_RQEZfqT03QvDMcmhpN2VS

LW4x8wrykdDHeMFq_S07ryBni6ZEgB2zlBtSviO0

CXq_rLDHSrC_ivzzvTv2GZ6oe7ha3vJHo-iPVWtT

Ended up going with the 285/30/19 kumho PS91 on the back, cheap at $235/ea from St George tyres.

Not a heap of info out there but supposed to be the next step from a ku39. Overall reviews are pretty good, seem popular overseas as a bit of a cheaper knock off of the Michelin PSS which I've got on the front, tread pattern is quite similar.

Definitely doesn't look under-tyred on the 10.5

DCUuDEzszfc08UPY8ywWXjNoEY5YTWEPCSXsvSTa

Looks like rear guards will foul, to sort it will probably trim 10-15mm off the guard edge as dan / ozywalker suggested further up.

Tyre sits 15mm in from the outer edge

fBVEgXZEEytfvEEBkRH0LFZELFyUZ4GqTu_khss8

Guard edge is 25mm wide 

3As2w6hoSHh7uBZG9xv_5_P7WqBtBcjc9rI3TTbx

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Temps were in negative single digits on my private road/driveway this morning, did a few 3rd-4th pulls

At least one trespasser as usual, more of them in the other videos which I'll try to edit out and post up

Edit

Dammit link not working

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN2YSE-GkD10yJ1kvAtifIG9UzzDZFiE3NWQsxmti0d9_eqWp7MOsbP6NAxC0vHsA/photo/AF1QipOEqigw0NCgBsrvATaYdBGyYrRbTuP7Chn4AAEv?key=ekpTcHlQYS1PbWE0a0dmZ1FJaHVIU3JSSW5Panhn

Edited by camo86T

• 1 year later...

Recent developments...

A couple of months back the ute refused to start, cranked over happily but but that's it.

I was at work and short on time so I just drove the work truck home and back.

A day or so later I tried again and it started first time, idled fine, like nothing was wrong.

A week or so later it did it again - I left it, tried again next morning and again it started first go, no sign of any issue.

Obviously this was going to keep happening but being flat out at work I didn't have the time to focus on it, and just didn't drive it anywhere other than home/work and back.

Having the truck is a luxury, driving a Hino can be fun in wet weather....but that's another story lol

When it happened the third time I left it again, but next couple of days - no go, she'd run out of patience obviously...

The ebay spec 460 pump has always been at the back of my mind, and at 5yrs old I was half expecting it to give me issues at some point.

I couldn't hear it priming, so checked current at the relay, all good.

I pulled the tub liner and rails out - literally takes about 5min these days - and since I'd previously cut the forward floor panel I had easy access to the pump connections. I couldn't get a proper reading at the pump but given I'm at not quite up to kindergarten level of electrical it wasn't out of the question I was the weak link...

Got an auto sparky who we do some work for to drop past and verdict was the pump, but also pointed out the discolouration at the module connection and how pissy the module wiring looked.

Since I'd bought it as a drop-in unit I found the OEM pot - luckily I'd kept it - and although the pot design is virtually identical, connectors look better quality and the wiring is a larger gauge, so decided to drag it into service.

I got a new genuine 460 through MTQ Sydney - can't fault these guys, Adam has looked after me very well with service and pricing over the years - as well as new convoluted e85 rated hoses from Joe at CMS. 

The pot and pump connectors don't match so I got a new Ford pattern quick connector to fit to the pump wiring.

The one thing I did use from the ebay pot was the intermediate section which actually holds the pump - it still had the pump locator tabs intact whereas I'd managed to snap them off the Ford unit at some point. It fitted fine between the upper and lower sections of the genuine pot.

I then got a manual syphon pump and sucked out the 15L or so of e85 in the tank. Being 8+ weeks old, with over a week of only rags stuffed in the pump opening and a bit of board over the top, plus a few rainy days - no way I was going to be running on it.

I dropped the pot back in, emptied a 20L jerry of fresh 98 into the tank and changed over to the 98 tune.

That all done, turned the key and boo yah she fired. Seemed to be running ok, but there was a fuel system fault on the dash, plus a '0 to empty' warning. 

Dammit, probably the sender. Turned it back off, and pulled the pot out yet again, disconnected and re-connected the sender which looked fine, and put it back in. Turned the key but all she said was ‘click-click’.

As the ute had been sitting there for a bit and I'd tried starting numerous times I wasn't overly surprised about the battery; I used the yard crane battery to jump start it and left it running for a good 20 min or so while I did something else. When I came back to it a charge fail warning was up, and after I turned the ute off it wouldn’t start again.

Next day I pulled the battery out and charged it on the Projecta IC1000 battery charger we have at work. To my uneducated eyes this seems to be a top unit, has seven stages of charging including 'reconditioning' and a whole lot of other features. I didn’t bother fully charging it, just left it there for about an hour or so on the 10A setting and then had another go. Same deal, would run at first but eventually ‘charge fail’ would poke its head up again. Meanwhile the fuel system fault and 0 to empty warnings were still there.

Alternator? Thread results from a hit on the trusty search button agreed with me, so I placed an order for a genuine replacement from Adelaide Parts who generally have the best pricing for genuine Ford stuff on ebay.

I then removed the alternator, visually it looked in pretty poor shape with plenty of crap in it. Since blue nugget no.2 is currently in bits, and will be pushing a fair extra whack of power over no.1, I decided to steal its alternator for no.1 and it can score the new one when it turns up.

I fitted up the 'new' alternator to no.1, and once the battery had a full charge in it, I tried again – charge fail warning gone. #winning

This was yesterday arvo, I drove it home and back to work this morning; all good except for the bloody annoying fuel level/system warnings.

Plan this afternoon is to a) try get a current reading on the sender wiring and if all good then b) get the pump module out yet again and try swapping the pot base over for the ebay one since the float pivots are different, and I never had the issue before the pump died.

Anyone still reading and want to throw their 2c in, please do…

• Like 2

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

sounds like an epic tale of troubleshooting... good job on sorting the alternator. Such a shame that was the issue rather than the pump connector/wiring/etc which has seemingly caused the pump to fail.

not sure about the fuel sender thing-o-majiggy in the utes, so can't help you with specifics there...

• Like 1