theariah

• Member For: 9y 4m 24d

Why? People make mental power with a big single.. U doing it for less lag?

This is true, and I've seen a 1000rwhp single turbo XR6 before. But twin turbo's offer a little more leeway in regards turbo threshold and high rev power gains. I.e. you don't have to sacrifice one for the other and vice versa.

• Member For: 9y 4m 24d

Love the idea, will look good but will be expensive, but never let dollars get in the way of your aspirations.

I have only ever built a twin turbo cressida or rather done an engine swap then done skids, but I have crewed for a race team and built and rebuilt motors between events and done engine swaps on cars.

How much of the work will you be doing yourself?

My Thoughts (Feel free to ignore them)

What I guess needs to be considered is what you are wanting to do to give the outcome you want. If you purely just want the motor to be twin turbo'd then it can be done easily enough with custom manifolds and plumbing, but you will be forking out for 2x everything and have two heat sources under the bonet and space will always be a premium. In saying that anything can be done with enough time money and expertise.

If you have a specific outcome, there may be a different approach to achieve it. 4+3=7 and so does 5+2=7 just different ways to get there, all I am saying is there might be a more effective way of achieving your outcome.

How will you be using the car?

Do you have a tuner in mind? Have you discussed this idea with a tuner to get their professional input ?

Do you have a budget and if so can you afford to double it?

Do you have a time scale when you would like it driving?

Have you spoken to an engineer to make sure there will be zero issues with the Fuzz of Insurance? (A small side swipe from someone can add up to an expensive exercise)

Just some things to think about before you get too deep into it.

Good luck with the project, look forward to seeing progress.

This will definitely not be my run around car, but I'm not sure if I'm going to tune it to a "race only" application or a weekend warrior kind of deal just yet. The work itself would be done by me and mechanics within a shop. I don't plan on having this done anytime soon, this will be a couple of years in the making I think. The insurance is not necessarily a massive issue, but it is something I had not considered.

I also think for this project to work properly (and for a long time, it would suck if it packed it in after 2 years driving) a complete overhaul of the car would be neccesary (basically just leaving the bodywork and changing everything else). I'm not sure just a custom manifold and plumbing would cut it :(. Thanks for the input though, much appreciated.

• Will do skids for food
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 4m 24d

My barely qualified comments would be to start with an XR6T instead.
That way all the crap you need to run a turbo set up is already there.

From what I've seen on here, just the conversion from NA to turbo is a pain in the ring and not worth the effort.

Also, with regards to filling the engine with forged gear, have a think about where you plan to end up, power output wise.

There's plenty of guys going over 400kw at the wheels on a stock engine, so unless its in for serious abuse or proper BIG power, you may be spending money you either dont need to spend, or could maybe defer until later on.

You could then stage the build and spread the cost over a longer period.

Starting with the turbo, fuel, exhaust, intercooling set up and some tuning at lower boost, then start upgrading as you start leaning on it more and more.

Edited by Boganspeed

• Member For: 9y 9m 21d

Everyone who goes twin turbo uses 2 of the same sized turbos so you don't' get any benefits over a single anyway.

Twin turbos are only better if you go compound or 1 small 1 large turbo, however if you don't size them properly you end up with all sorts of issues, subaru liberties for examples have a big dip between the second turbo coming on with millions of dollars of tuning put into the car.

The only benefit from going twin turbo of the same size is you get the twin scroll turbo effect due to putting 3 cylinders through each turbo, this can improve spool slightly. Though if this was the only reason for doing twin turbo you could just get a twin scroll single turbo which is almost as good as twins.

Twins will have huge amount of piping that has to be custom made and will most likely look ugly as you don't have that much room, not to mention you then need to do funky stuff with the air metering and filters or try and combine them back into one intake. So for a huge outlay of cash you end up with a cluttered engine bay that costs a dikload and offers minimal advantages.

This is true, and I've seen a 1000rwhp single turbo XR6 before. But twin turbo's offer a little more leeway in regards turbo threshold and high rev power gains. I.e. you don't have to sacrifice one for the other and vice versa.

This is not true at all, twin identical sized turbos don't offer any real advantages at all over a single. Where did you get the idea of high rev power gains? That is purely to do with turbo sizing and not if you run 1 or 2 turbos, if you ran twin gt25 turbos you would choke the motor and have peak power at 3k, it is the compressor/turbine maps that determine your power curve not the number of turbos.

edit: If you have an NA car just sell the damn thing and buy a turbo, unless of course you like burning money. Converting a non turbo to turbo is super expensive, will not be as good as the actual turbo car (brakes along with all the other options etc) and then you get all the registration issues, eg it requires a full inspection to be legal however if you've added any mods they won't pass it now.

Sell it and buy a turbo car that someone else has already tipped money into, buy their money pit and it will only cost you a few grand instead of 20+

Edited by rollex
  • Thanks 1

• 5 years later...